Kool-Aid dyeing this weekend...

earthwhisper

Just thought I would share that I am putting it on my calendar to do this weekend. My sister is coming to visit and I see this as the perfect opportunity to get color!

I have 2 of those large skein's of fisherman's wool. I have no idea how I should go about dyeing it. Do I wind it into smaller sections? I need to read up on this tomorrow.

I have 2 of those large skein's of fisherman's wool. I have no idea how I should go about dyeing it. Do I wind it into smaller sections? I need to read up on this tomorrow.

Yay!

I wind off a section of yarn into a hank. I usually do 1/3 of a skein of fisherman's wool, though I'm not sure why it always ends up being 1/3. :)

You can wind off a section by putting two chairs near one another and wrapping the yarn around it, then tying it off in a couple of places. This way -- especially if you're combining colors using squirt bottles or a big turkey baster -- you can lie the yarn out and have a lot of space to work with it.

I like these sites:

How to Paint Roving and Yarn

Dyeing Protein Fibers with Kool-Aid

Gina's Self-Striping Sock Yarn (this looks SO COOL)

Have fun! I have a ton of kool aid here I just picked up to dye some more yarn and roving. :)

Archived