johnstowngirl

Hi from the 'burgh!

I stumbled on you guys when looking for tips on how to frame my work. My grandma taught me to crochet when I was in college, and I've worked on it on and off since then. My sisters think I'm nuts and act too much like an old lady, but I've graduated from afghans to felted purses, beaded wire jewelry, open work scarves and filet crochet. My attempts at clothing have been atrocious, but I'll keep at it. Maybe with some help and encouragement, I'll actually be able to make something that fits!

Johnstown, PA? DH and I lived there for awhile, I really liked that area.

And welcome to the 'ville, you'll love it here, most caring group of people I've ever met.:yes:yarn:yes

We're in the same boat! I can't crochet anything that fits to save my life, in spite of checking my gauge. My gauge is what is called for in the patterns but the garment still doesn't fit! Can someone out there tell us what we're doing wrong!? Or is my body just mishapen?

Nice to "meet" you, new neighbor!

Welcome to Crochetville! And yes, practice does make perfect- be patient, it'll happen! Try different weights of yarn-worsted, sports weight. I'm partial to Caron's Simply Soft, myself.

And -how Yinz!?! I'm originally from the Penn Hills suburb of Pittsburgh.:yay

I grew up in Johnstown, then lived in Philly, DC, NC, now Pittsburgh. I get back to eat Coney Islands as often as I can, though?

BTW, what is a contract crocheter?

We spent a lot of time in Johnstown when I was a kid. My brother was paralyzed in an auto accident when he was 17 and was sent to Johnstown's rehab center. About all I remember from the ride was this huge horseshoe shaped curve in the road while going up a mountain.

I lived and worked in Pittsburgh until the economy drove us elsewhere. Pittsburgh wasn't woman-friendly in the 70's.