holes when making towel topper ?

melindascrochetbits

Question

I am not sure if I worded the topic correctly or not. But I want to learn how to make those cute store bought towels with the crochet piece on top

( towel topper a.k.a. towel hanger ).

Here is a link to a free pattern I found that will better explain what I am trying to describe:

http://members.aol.com/SAG55/towel.html

My question is how do you get the holes in the towel so that you can start crocheting ?

Thanks in advance for all help. I am trying to learn how to make something else besides afghans and baby blankets.

I guess it depends on the person if they like double thickness. I don't think I ever use double thickness of dish towels. Or even a double a bath towel to dry my hands. But that's me.

I made my friend some and saw hers,and no fraying or not much. But I still think it might depend on the towel. Some of mine had designs and I think that kept it from fraying too much, they weren't just plain ones (those are fun to do). I fold my end over a little, so maybe that helped. Plus the yarn is over the edging, mostly...

I suppose the double thickness would be nice. Then you wouldn't have to cut the towel at all.

I also wondered about that Edgery-do item would work.

Debbi

Hi there -

I do the towels each year as Christmas gifts and have learned over the years what the recipients of them find helpful and not so good and have adapted them accordingly and now they all look to get them just about the time last years are completely worn out from use!!! Yeah!!!!

Okay the folks did not like the "thinness" of the single 1/2 towels and wanted more thickness/bulk for drying both their hands at sinkside or to even dry dishes quick without pulling out another towel - so I now FOLD the whole towel over.

Once folded I have had really good luck using this tool - which if you do use it buy 2 cuz they are easy to lose down the seat of your chair, in the car etc... But they are the handiest dandiest "poker" for the holes that requires the least space, and is good and sharp to go thru 2 layers - I love it!

Click here for the link -

http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/300168.htm

I have purchased the Edgerydoo www.edgerydoo.com and am looking forward to using that both on towels and for fleece blanket edging - I got that from a gal here that designed it - and in ensures your holes are evenly spaced as it is a template and poker kit. The reason I haven't yet used it is because I would have to do the first part of the towels while home - and with my little dentist tool I can have them in my tote and do while on the go - I just space the holes "by eye" and then sc across using the hook side of the tool - then I use the size hook I want to crochet the rest.

Last thing I had to adjust was the "closure" of the topper - some liked when I chose a funky or cute themed button and then they could put it on a drawer handle. Others requested a "ring" crocheted at the top - I use cheap metal ones that will take the dryer. Because they don't have drawer handles and like to hang them on a hook or peg nearby their sink/countertop.

Hope this has been helpful and have fun!!!!:manyheart

Sometimes I fold a towel in half and do the blanket stitch at the fold and then start crocheting from there. If I cut the towel I do a small hem on the sewing machine. I either use a smaller crochet hook to attach the yarn to the towel and sc along the edge. Then I switch to a larger hook to do the topper. Sometimes I use a small pointed object such as a compass or small knitting needle to make a hole to work a small crochet hook through.

I just use a steel hook and punch holes. Sometimes the alumnum hooks work. So as I crochet, I poke a hole through it. Yes I fold down the cut side so it doesn't fray as much.

Towel Topper - link with a few ideas.

towel toppers - link with a more detailed discription of how someone else does it.

Towel topper help please - link with ideas for sewing machine and blanket stitches for the top to crochet onto.

Towel topper help please - link to more ideas, yes same title as above, but different discussion LOL

Towel Toppers - link to patterns if you would like some more.

Have fun! I enjoy making these, they're quick and easy and great to give. Plus you can find great patterns on the towels themself.

Debbi

Archived