holes when making towel topper ?

melindascrochetbits

Question

I am not sure if I worded the topic correctly or not. But I want to learn how to make those cute store bought towels with the crochet piece on top

( towel topper a.k.a. towel hanger ).

Here is a link to a free pattern I found that will better explain what I am trying to describe:

http://members.aol.com/SAG55/towel.html

My question is how do you get the holes in the towel so that you can start crocheting ?

Thanks in advance for all help. I am trying to learn how to make something else besides afghans and baby blankets.

This is the basic pattern I started with.

http://www.crochetnmore.com/dishtoweltopper.htm

I don't actually worry about getting the 44 holes or stitches on the towel. I just make however many I need to get across the top spacing them 1/4 inch apart. Sometimes I have to frog the last row or two before starting the narrow section and make an extra decrease or skip a decrease to compensate. In my adaptation I have determined that by the time I get to my 11th row (not counting the row joining the yarn to the towel) that I want it to have 7 double crochets in it

I kind of follow this pattern bgs posted:

http://www.crochetnmore.com/dishtoweltopper.htm

What I usually do is poke a hole with a steel hook and sometimes even do the single crochet across with the steel hook. If I use a smaller hook (like a steel hook) I'll do a chain 1 between the single crochet. Then when I do the next rows with a bigger hook, I have that extra room (the ch 1) to make up for the larger stitches. I have found that I like to crochet in the poked hole asap because it can close up quickly.

Then I usually do the skip stitches ( row 4 on the pattern) then a row of dc. And repeat those 2 rows (skip stitches, don't skip stitches) Until I have 3-6 dc left. Make a "neck", then a button. With the skipped stitches, that leave an opening for the button. Very easy like this pattern.

Debbi

Last night I remembered I had a dishtowel. So I took a hook and some yarn and took some pictures.

here is the towel with my hook poked through the dishtowl, the first stitch, so I have a loop on the hook, the hook through the towel, and a yarn over ready to be pulled through:

zdish3.jpg

Here's a picture of the yarn pulled through:

zdish2.jpg

Since I wasn't sure how those would work, I frogged and then did some in a different color, so here's one with a few stitches on the towel:

zdish5.jpg

I hope this helps!

Debbi

Once folded I have had really good luck using this tool - which if you do use it buy 2 cuz they are easy to lose down the seat of your chair, in the car etc... But they are the handiest dandiest "poker" for the holes that requires the least space, and is good and sharp to go thru 2 layers - I love it!

Click here for the link -

http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/300168.htm

That's a very interesting tool. I've never seen one before. A dental pick and a crochet hook. cool!

My method is this:

First I cut the towel in half. Run a zigzag stitch down the rough edge on the sewing machine. Then I fold it in half lentghwise. Now how I get the holes in it is by using a meat thermometer. Yes, you read that right, a meat thermometer. The kind that is metal with a long pointed tip and a glass top. Just be careful when pressing on the glass part. Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt trying my method.

I always found that using an awl or aluminum hook or any of the other suggestions either didn't make a big enough hole for my hook to easily slide through or they just tore up the towel. Anyway, then I punch my first hole smack dab in the center of the towel and then work my way across the edge evenly. This way I make two holes at once and they're lined up rather nicely. Good luck!

Hello Ladies,

Here's how I do my kitchen towels (top of kitchen towel is knitted) I fold my towel in half, Pin the two sides of towel on bottom, (just so it doesn't get uneven) I do a embroidery chain stitch space evenly across towel), and as you look underneath the towel you'll see the stitches in a straight line underneath, then I do one or two ways, I sometime so a single crochet st. or a slip stitch across. Just to give it a neater finish underneath of towel. Now at the end of towel, take yarn and come up through last stitch and yarn is now on front side of towel, take knitting needle and a crochet hook and pick up stitches under the embroidery chain loops, and bring yarn up and put on knitting and continue till all loops are on needle. Now you shoud have a total of 67 sts. If you got lets say 35 chain stitches you would take and Inc. the first 16 sts.= (32 sts.)

then knit next 3 sts. Inc. last 16 sts. (32) so in your book you would mark 32-3-32 which adds up to 67 sts. to start pattern. Every towels comes out different . You usually have to end up with a odd number of embroidered chain stitches . And there's no fussing with poking holes . You can do this version the same way and crochet the top. I can sit down and do one in no time. Thought I share my idea. Check out the http://www.about.com and see how it shows you to do the embroidery chain stitch, to do towels. It's takes less time to do it this way. I've done the blanket st. but don't like to do it that way. My towels come out really nice (and they are fairly thick towels) don't like the thin towels. I'm begining to call myself the towel lady. I'm now working on xmas gifts for the yr. of 08. I'm way ahead of myself buying and making gifts for xmas. Won't have to worry about facing the crowed stores.

Wanda

I suggest you read through the posts, grab and towel, a hook, some yarn and just start! And don't worry if you don't get it right, that's why we have the little :2frog:frog in our pictures... becasue we all frog something...

Debbi

Yes, just start somewhere and you will develop your own style. I try to keep a stash of them ready as they are always handy for small gifts. I always check out the towels when I am out shopping to see what I can add to my stash. I can usually find Christmas towels fairly easy. A few years ago I found a cute Easter bunny towel, Halloween towels, and even one with a turkey. I wound up crocheting heart and shamrock fridgies and attaching them to the toppers for Valentine's day and St. Patrick's day. This year I tried something new. I used a plain towel, made a simple topper and then I appliqued a strip of fabric with special designs (firefighter, fishing) near the bottom front of the towel.

i fold an edge over and sew it down on the sewing machine. Then I do a blanket stitch with a large needle and yarn for my first row. Then I crochet into that. Using the needle, allows the threads to just move aside and I don't have any trouble with fraying. :hook

Debbi---I do the same thing.

Carol:hook

I just use a steel hook and punch holes. Sometimes the alumnum hooks work. So as I crochet, I poke a hole through it. Yes I fold down the cut side so it doesn't fray as much.

Towel Topper - link with a few ideas.

towel toppers - link with a more detailed discription of how someone else does it.

Towel topper help please - link with ideas for sewing machine and blanket stitches for the top to crochet onto.

Towel topper help please - link to more ideas, yes same title as above, but different discussion LOL

Towel Toppers - link to patterns if you would like some more.

Have fun! I enjoy making these, they're quick and easy and great to give. Plus you can find great patterns on the towels themself.

Debbi

My problem is that I could never get the correct number of stitches evenly spaced from beginning to end when starting the towel topper. I always ended up with the end of the towel not having any stitches because I had already made the number of stitches the instructions called for. So I just gave up.

My problem is that I could never get the correct number of stitches evenly spaced from beginning to end when starting the towel topper. I always ended up with the end of the towel not having any stitches because I had already made the number of stitches the instructions called for. So I just gave up.

Never give up, you can do it.

Here's one for you to do for top of towels( lets say you get 43 sts. across the top of towel)

43 sts.----- (24-19-24)which adds up to 67 sts. Where you see the first # 24 (which means you inc. the first 12 sts. front/back of ea. st. you should have 24 sts. Now knit the next 19 stitches, and the last 12 sts. your going to inc. front/back of ea. st. and you'll have another 24 sts. done and you should have now 67 sts. for a total to start the pattern. Then I would write it down in a book to refer back. But works better when you have a odd # of sts. across towel. I've done towels with various # of sts. like 43, 41, 39,37,47, 35,51,41,33, depending on sz. of towel

For those of you who also quilt and have a rotary cutter, there is a new "wheel" out that fits them. It's a skip stitch rotatory cut blade. There are two sizes, one that makes holes that are 1/8 inch apart and one that makes holes that are 5/16 inch apart. If you run that over the edge of a towel, the holes are made for you. :):) Never can have enough toys!!

Take Care,

Rhonda

I usually cut the towel in 1/2. I then fold over the edge about 1/4" and make tiny running stitches, that act like basting stitches, to hold it in place. Most towels have a white background so the stitches won't show under the terry pile. I don't like the look of the zig-zag on them If anything, I would prefer a straight stitch. My method using the running stitch doesn't show, so I don't even bother to rip out the stitches when i've finished the crocheting.

Oh good suggestion! You can find pretty and color matching buttons. They have some super cute ones. I found some for a purse I did. I saw some others and I thought they were really nice. So if you do want it to button closed, you can use a button. I've always crocheted my buttons, but this is a great option. Might work if say, for my friend who did her kitchen in Apples and I couldn find an Apple dishtowel, I probalby could in buttons. I know Micheals has a ton of fashionable buttons.

Debbi

Yup! It is a really fun and fast project once you make your first one you will be hooked!

And for the ones I put buttons on I like to look for special ones that match my towels "theme" - JoAnn's has some nice ones that are Mary Engelbright and the like! Last time I got them (about 2 weeks ago) many were marked on clearance! Normally like $3 they were .25cents and .50 cents! So I put them away in my stash :manyheart

See Melinda? Go ahead and start. I would love to see what you come up with. We're all different. Some use one, some double the towel. Some make a hanger, some make a "neck" type to put on the oven door or fridge. Some make holes with hooks, some with a punch. Some use thinner towels, some thicker.

So choose your favorite kitchen towels, or go look at the store (there are some super nice ones) and some yarn (any would work, some like cotton, some thread, some worsted weight), your favorite hook and just start crocheting.

There are some cute ideas out there you can use, holiday towel toppers, angel ones, dress ones, circle ones, basic easy one.

Good luck!

Debbi

Oh mine were thicker kitchen towels. So one would be sufficient. They were the ones that have the nice pretty designs on them. Usually $1 a towel or sometimes walmart has 5 or 6 for $5.

Debbi

Just goes to show how different everyone is!!! Those that you refer to are the very ones I use!!! I find them so pretty but the folks who get 'em say - too thin when single!!! Funny huh? As I said they get heavy use and all the washing probably doesn't help - they found the topper was lasting more than the bottom towel!:eek

I think with all the washing they liked them folded to avoid the frayed threads too.

Right now Walmart has some really ones I noticed:)

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/easytoweltopper.html not step by step but shows a picture with the blanket stitch.

close up of a towel topper, which may help you see how to crochet into the towel.

http://hometown.aol.com/fourleafcl1064/page19.html

and the pattern is here: http://hometown.aol.com/fourleafcl1064/myhomepage/photo.html (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

These kind you can fasten to your oven door. You crochet across the towel, then continue to decrease (usually). Eventually you have a "neck" where it's about 3-8 stitches. You keep going until you make a button or you add a real button to it. This hooks into the part going across the towel. You can unbutton and button to the oven door if you want. Or fridge door.

I suggest you read through the posts, grab and towel, a hook, some yarn and just start! And don't worry if you don't get it right, that's why we have the little :2frog:frog in our pictures... becasue we all frog something...

Debbi

thanks. it sound pretty easy. When you poke holes in the towel, does it start fraying after awhile ?

On towels I am not really cutting holes but rather moving the woven threads far enough apart in order to get a small crochet hook through it to attach the yarn. I imagine if you actually cut the threads the towel would eventually fray, how bad would depend on the number of threads that were cut. If I cut the towel in half I fold the cut edge over and zig zag stitch over it with my sewing machine.

Oh mine were thicker kitchen towels. So one would be sufficient. They were the ones that have the nice pretty designs on them. Usually $1 a towel or sometimes walmart has 5 or 6 for $5.

I did so some longer kitchen towel that were edings for my friend for Burp clothes, they were thiner, but softer, so of course i just left them as one piece. THey were BIG and even then if I did a towel topper on them, they would have to be folder as they were thinner.

Debbi

I know what you mean, but I just went by the feedback I got, and when some folks weren't using them I just wanted to know why? I think it was mostly too the men-folk that were helping around the kitchen might have felt they were too "dainty" to use and wanted the added bulk.

I don't know about yours but usually the dishtowels I was using were much much thinner that a bath towel - in fact some were downright paperthin but I really liked the design on them cuz they might have matched a persons kitchen theme.

I did like however when I cut them that you could make more towels than folding in half and doubling. But as I said now all who get mine are finding them a little more user friendly for their needs - I think it depends on who you are making them for. A family that has 6 or more kids is gonna need them rugged and "multipurpose" for when they run out of clean towels and that is the only one around the kitchen!:lol A family with 2 or less - maybe not - less hands wiping on them! :)

Archived