Fabric glue on yarn?

crochetrae

Question

Why won't fabric glue (Aleene's OK to Wash it) stick on yarn? I'm trying to glue 50 little flowers to a shawl. With the little hole in the center of the flower, I couldn't tack it in just one place, so figured it would be easier and neater to just glue the flowers on. I've used it on thread before and it worked fine. I've glued twice now and the flowers will still just pull right off!

I need to mail this shawl tomorrow, so I guess I'd better start sewing, but I don't understand why won't the glue work??? :think

8 answers to this question

I've never tried to glue anything to yarn, but I would think the finer the fabric, the closer together the twist of the yarn and the stitches, the better it would stick. I think that unless you saturated the yarn, it would only stick to the surface fibers and you could pull it right off--fibers and all.

yarn and wet glue don't go together at all. I know I have tried and tried. I think i have tried hot glue, but that makes it stiff and can be a pain. we tried some flexible fabric glue, and dh was getting upset because it wouldn't stick, turns out we had to let it sit for at least 6 hours before it was set.

I use Fabri-tac to glue on my wiggle eyes. After I glue them on, I just let it sit and dry overnight. I haven't had any problems (crosses fingers) and my 8 year old son is quite rough with his things.

I use Crafter's Pick THE ULTIMATE! to glue wiggly eyes on yarn projects. Once they are in place, I don't touch them for hours. I've never had a problem with them coming off.

Real Deal

Thanks everybody for your tips. I did let the OK to Wash It glue sit for several hours and it still would peel off. I went ahead and tacked them. I think it's like Granny Square said and the glue stuck just on the surface, therefore it was easy to peel off. I, too, had glued wiggly eyes on yarn before but it wasn't going to be washed and Tacky glue worked great. I just needed a washable glue this time and that seemed to be the problem.

NOW I KNOW!!!

Thanks again!

Archived