Shallow single crochet

Sonny321

Question

There is a stitch on page 21 of the " Harmony Guides 300 crochet stitches" book that is driving me up the wall. It's called the shallow single crochet stitch. Rarely has a stitch ever frustrated me like this. Usually I can figure them out, but I simple can not get how to do this. If anyone has this book and knows how to make this stitch can you help me understand it please? I've ripped out this same swatch 27 times. It's time to call in the reenforcements.

9 answers to this question

It's not that hard once you figure out what lines they are talking about. :)

Do a row of sc, turn, then look at the front of the row. You will see two horizontal bars above the upside down "v" (this is the v on the face of the fabric, not the top of the stitch). The two bars are made up of the front loop of the top v that you normally stitch under, and the thread directly underneath it. You are essentially inserting your hook between the upside down V and under that bar. Or, seen another way, look at where you normally insert your hook, move a little to the left and slightly down (under the horizontal thread and between the V.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll try to post a pic. It actually ends up looking a little like knitting. :)

That's about it, I'd just add that on the first sc you crochet into there will not be 2 vertical bars to crochet in between, so I just went to the left of the one that was there. I thought this stitch made a very springy cushiony fabric, would maybe be good for slipper soles or a bath mat.

It's not that hard once you figure out what lines they are talking about. :)

Do a row of sc, turn, then look at the front of the row. You will see two horizontal bars above the upside down "v" (this is the v on the face of the fabric, not the top of the stitch). The two bars are made up of the front loop of the top v that you normally stitch under, and the thread directly underneath it. You are essentially inserting your hook between the upside down V and under that bar. Or, seen another way, look at where you normally insert your hook, move a little to the left and slightly down (under the horizontal thread and between the V.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll try to post a pic. It actually ends up looking a little like knitting. :)

Archived