Baby hat help

jingles96

Question

A friend at work has asked me to make a hat for his daughter. Actually, his wife saw a hat in a magazine and asked if I could make it. I said sure. However, I've never made a hat, so it's going to be an experiment for me. Anyway, she sent me the photo and while everything looks pretty simple, I have a question.... how do I do those holes? It's probably very simple but they look round, so I'm a little perplexed - it's most probably not a simple stitch skip....

Any ideas?

argh....image posting isn't working for me, so here's the link to the photo:

http://jinglelady.us/crochet/images/baby_hat_model.jpg

6 answers to this question

First thing I thought of is tha peekaboo stitch. I have seen a pattern for a baby blanket recently that looks like the hat. Maybe some one here knows where the pattern is.

If I find it I'll let you know.

Barbara

Barbara - is this what you're talking about:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/patterns/peekaboo-petit.pdf?

Looks like what the hat does, just in a dc instead of a sc. That's what I was thinking too, I just thought that since the holes look round-ish that maybe it was something else. Hmm....

Sometimes it is hard to tell but I'm thinking that hat looks knitted. In that case you would just make a crochet hat that would look similar but it wouldn't be exact. I agree the peek a boo stitch looks like it would work. When you get done, you will have a marketable pattern!:clap

Amy:hook

It is hard to telll if crochet or knitted, assume you are a crocheter and would not tried a knit pattern, but about the holes, just follow the pattern (if crocheting that is ) and the hole will come, lol that sounds funny, I am sure it will be just a simple skip a stitch thing, that is what makes the holes. But they do look oval, take a picture and let us know, I love the pattern, can you tell us what it is.

Hi Beachlady -

I would assume it's a crocheted hat or was marketed as a crocheted hat in whatever magazine my co-workers wife found the photo in. Her mother knits, so she probably asked her mother first, though I'm not certain about that.

I've been working on the hat this afternoon. I had a Eureka! moment about the holes and I think I found the way they were done. Except a row later, I decided they looked too flat - like an oval on it's side - so I ripped it out and tried it a different way that initially looked good. Except it didn't, so I went back to my original way. I'm thinking the hat in the photo is crocheted with a thinner yarn than I'm using, so that's probably why it looks a little different.

I expect I'll be done with the hat this evening or tomorrow. I'll post a photo then. And I'm writing down what I'm doing, so if I like the way it turns out, I'll ask for some pattern testers and then post the pattern. Woo hoo!! I never thought I'd actually "design" something, much less "publish" it. Certainly not a baby hat! :)

Archived