Tips for using Lion Homespun?

Ok this is my 2nd attempt at trying to crochet with homespun. The first time I got frustrated and exchanged the yarn for WW. This time I am trying to make the "coming home" poncho for my MIL so I really want it to work out.

The problem I am having is seeing the stitches. For me Homespun is the hardest yarn to work with. Does anyone have any tips/tricks or ideas that might help?

The pattern says to use an "N" hook which you would think would make nice big loops to find but I am finding out different.

I combine it with another yarn and it makes it alot easier to find the stitches! I'm on my third afghan using a combo of Homespun and Patons Pebbles and the combo moves along really fast. Maybe you could combine it with a WW in a matching color?

Kim

Throw it out, that's my tip...sorry, knee-jerk reaction...

I find I have to use an N hook (9.00 mm) with this, and has been said, it's best to feel for the stitches.

However, I have found that anything I've made with Lion Brand Homespun yarn has gotten very ratty with a few washings--so be warned.

I used a K hook with it the only time I've worked with it. You really need to feel for the stitches. Also, try going up one hook size, althoguh N is 'huge' in my book. (I like G or H best...)

The afghan I made out of it fell apart the first time I washed it. It was squares and I probably didn't leave enough ends to weave in and it fell apart at all the color changes. I was devistated, it wasn't cheap. I've found that you really need to tie a knot in the cut ends to keep it from falling apart and weave in about 2x what you normally do so it won't unravel on you.

It is soft... I'll give you that much...

My best suggestion is to keep to simple single stitch and feel for the stitches.

Here is a link to the thread about the Homespun Ripple afghan I made.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39241&highlight=Homespun+Ripple

It is soft, warm, and beautiful still after a few washings. I love it!

Ok glad to hear that others have issues with this yarn as well. I will try it one more time but if I still have issues then I am going to combine it with a regular ww yarn in the same color and see if that helps. Thanks!

Is this the pattern from LionBrand? http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-scallopEdgePoncho.html

This one is mostly worked in spaces. And is pretty easy, I think... Just keep trying. I had a friend/coworker want to make it, start it over several times and finally finished a beautiful poncho. I thought I'd help her out, so I bought some Homespun and even though she had figured it out, I finished mine and love it.:manyheart Washes up beautifully and is soft.

I was thinking of making some simple scarfs for Christmas in homespun, just dc and a big hook so I can feel for the stitches.

Debbi

Is this the pattern from LionBrand? http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-scallopEdgePoncho.html

This one is mostly worked in spaces. And is pretty easy, I think... Just keep trying. I had a friend/coworker want to make it, start it over several times and finally finished a beautiful poncho. I thought I'd help her out, so I bought some Homespun and even though she had figured it out, I finished mine and love it.:manyheart Washes up beautifully and is soft.

Yep thats the one!

Well I like fun fur b/c I combine it with a matching ww yarn so I guess thats what I am going to have to do with this one too.

i have used this yarn several times and like it very much. i done hats, scarves, mittens, and afghans with it. my advice...keep it loose, use a bigger hook and if that does not work try using a lighted hook that may help. (i have always wanted to try a lighted hook.) the first couple of rows are brutal but then it gets easier. my afghan i even used the black and dark purple and was still able to do it! good luck!

I love homespun yarn!!! It's practically all I use.

You do need a bigger hook though. I have never used any other yarn with it either.

As for washing--I wash on a gentle cycle and short light heat int eh dryer and I have never had any issues with ratty afghans!

Homespun is the yarn I used for my very first crochet projects; at first it was difficult, but I just felt the stitches with my fingers and counted my stitches to make sure I wasn't dropping or adding any. I mad emy parents an afghan out of homespun--from their site--bordered patterned afghan or something is the name. It was squares with a nice wavy border around it; they use it a lot and wash it a lot, and the cats use it a lot, and it is slightly fuzzy, but it hasn't fallen apart and it definitely isn't ratty. They love it. I use HOmespun all the time; I just love it. Once you get used to it, I think you'll like it.

Nicole

I love homespun too! I have made a shawl and a purse with it. I have yet to see it get messed up. It's just one of those that you have to get used to. I used an M hook, I think. It may have been an N though. I think I used a P hook for another purse for my niece.

I've made a few bags with Homespun and I've always used a p hook instead, still can't see the stitches well, but much easier to find/feel them and after getting used to it, I had no problem with it.

I don't like the Homespun either. Yes, it is wonderfully soft, but the struggle with it was too nerve wracking for me. I used a K hook, and dc sts, but it was taking me forever and it bunched up when I did a granny square with it.

Real Deal

I don't know if I'm glad or sorry I looked in this thread. I just bought some Homespun yarn yesterday on sale. I did not know it was difficult to work with. :shrug

It isn't difficult for everyone. When I started getting crafty after a hiatus, I just bought some of this new, wacky yarn (the homespun) and immediately LOVED it, I made a hat and scarf for my daughter, and then a whole bunch of other things. Of course I hand wash it,in detergent, it doesn't need woolite though.

I do tend to work by feel though, and always make knots (I'm paranoid!) as well as weaving the ends in. I like how fast it works up!

I will never buy it again. It is so not worth the money. I made one project with it and found the quality was terrible, there were yards and yards of it that were 'unspun', just fluff, and the colors weren't consistent in the same dye lot. Actually it's not really spun at all, it's just fluff held together by a thin thread, and if that thread breaks, you're project is toast.

I made that same poncho a few years ago in RHSS, I know it's not as soft but it wears a lot better.

I like Homespun and have used it a lot, even going as low as a K hook. You want a simple stitch and definitely feel your way along. The first row is usually the hardest; once you get your pattern established, it works very nicely. I have found that it holds up quite well as long as I don't try to make fringe; after washing, fringe resembles dreadlocks, which may be fine on people, but not on shawls or afghans.

I'm currently making a shawl using RH Light and Lofty which is basically just like Lion Brand's Homespun. I'm using an L hook. Granted, the shawl hasn't been washed yet. It's not even finished yet. But I would imagine you would treat items made from Homespun or Light & Lofty the same as you would items made out of 100% wool -- on delicate and very carefully.

I haven't had any problem crocheting with it. What I found amazing was I automatically moved the hook the correct space to find the next loop. I didn't even bother feeling my way across. I just went on instinct. I guess I was "one with the yarn" :hook

Ok I started the poncho again this morning, I first crocheted a few rows with WW yarn and homespun held together and even though it was a lot easier to work with, it was also very bulky. So I ripped all of it out and started again with just the homespun and after fighting a bit with the first row, its actually working out. I am on row 5 and it looks like its going to be pretty nice. Its just the first row working in the foundation chain that is the hardest.

I hope to have this done by Monday so I will post a pic when completed. Thanks for all the comments!

Archived