1. 1. What to make for a four year old boy

• since you made them for his sisters, make him a poncho in boy colors
    • boys don't like ponchos - make a sweater or vest
    • Make him some sort of toy
    • Other - see below.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aelita, I really wouldn't consider that a poncho. As shown, it has sleeve caps and with the hood it is more like a baby hoodie that is easy to put on a little one.

It is a poncho b/c it has snaps on the side to close it. Just like a poncho for a girl you just put the top over their head and then snap the sides closed. Once you snap it closed then it has sleeves. This pattern reminds me of the poncho my friend had and he was from Mexico. The males in his family had ponchos like this one except there was no hood and they either snapped closed on the sides or were tied. I like the hoodie pattern you have theworm and I would make my godson that as well but I am more leaning towards the poncho pattern for him. I can't wait to see what you have theworm.

What Darski said. Even if the little boy might like one, other children will tease him mercilessly. Trust me.

Amen!

And about the hooded poncho. I have never before seen a poncho that had any snaps to form sleeves and this is after 40 years of poncho watching. The defining quality of a poncho is that it just slips on and hangs. :2spin (A hooded tabbard maybe; poncho no!)

However all of this comes back to Mudpie's comment above. Think about what you will put that kid through if you do this.

Since the girls are getting a WEARABLE item and not a toy, I'd stick with

a wearable item. A fun hat or cap would be good... there are patterns for

beanies, cowboy hats, pirate hats, coonskin hats, etc.... I think that way

there wouldn't be any .... "ooooo I wish I would've gotten" feelings. :shrug

Which I take to be proof that there is a God!

Amen to that! My mom crocheted me a poncho when I was 12 and insisted I wear it to school. And they were actually in style at that time, but I absolutely hated it. I may have worn it a couple of times, but I never felt comfortable in it. It mysteriously disappeared shortly thereafter.

I haven't read through the thread yet to see if you've made a decision, but I just remembered hearing about a boy that made himself chain link armor (can't remember if he did it by knitting or crochet) for playing knights. I still think it's a really neat idea! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never!!!

LOL. Welcome back, Darski.

If you make hats, the kids in Germany do not like pom pom on top. My daughter in law is from Germany and I sent sweaters and matching hats for her sisters kids and the pom poms were taken off. But they did use the sweater and hat since the winters are long and very cold. I voted for toy but knowing where they will be living, I change to sweater. Hat isn't on there but hat and scarf also.

Since he is going to Europe I wonder if it would be looked at in a less "girly" way.

Nooooo !!!!!

Replace the word 'poncho' with 'skirt' or 'dress' and you'll get the idea of how a boy in a poncho would be considered in europe :lol

A poncho is a simple garment designed to keep the body warm, or if made from an impermeable material, to keep dry during rain. It is essentially a single large sheet of fabric with an opening for the head and sometimes for the arms. Some ponchos, especially those made to ward off rain, also have hoods attached.

During the second world war, the Wehrmacht issued the Zeltbahn, a poncho that could be combined to form tents. A typical four-man tent used four Zeltbahnen.

In the infantry of Australia and the UK, a poncho is a shelter half that may also serve as a raincoat or as an individual shelter. In operations in which ponchos are used, one is carried by each person, and when combined with another forms a two-person tent.

The United States Armed Forces also issue ponchos that may be used as a field expedient shelter. These garments are highly prized by hunters and rescue workers.

according to the online dictionary... so technically a Poncho started life as a Male garment... just another thing we females have adapted to our use...

When my daughter was 5, my nephew was 3. Mom was watching them both. Mom painted my daughters finger and toe nails with polish. My nephew cried until she painted his too....of course, his mom and I chuckled when we came to pick up our kids. Still, I've never seen a boy wearing a crocheted poncho, no matter the color. I also remember a movie where the grandma made a sweater for her grandson that would have been appropriate when he was 3, however he was 12 and his verbal response was thanks grandma, but his thought response in voice over was I'll be a target at school and beat up if I wear this. A hat and scarf sounds nice for the boy; can't imagine he would even WANT a poncho. :)

according to the online dictionary... so technically a Poncho started life as a Male garment... just another thing we females have adapted to our use...

That may be true Shelly, but context is everything. Ponchos have their place, sure, but not on a young boy out in public, ANYWHERE in North America.

JMHO.

When I was making ponchos for my neices my nephew asked for one. He was 7 at the time. I told him it would not be ok for outside the house if he really wanted one. My SIL and I agreed it was his choice. I made a large rectangle with a slit in it for the head. I told him when he was ready I would stich up the slit and he would have a blanket out of it later. He never wore it outside and 3 weeks later I was asked to sew up the slit. He is 10 now and still uses his blanket. If my other nephew asked I would do the same.

I don't think that ponchos are a boy thing. I would think more in lines of a hoodie, sweater, or a blanket in cayon colors, or a toy of some sort, like finger puppets, snakes, mice and things like that.

Archived