Dollar Store Plastic Twine Tote

Elkoo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really neat. This makes me want to run out to my dollar store and look for some plastic twine.

Thats a great idea! I can't afford yarn at the moment so that is a wonderful way for me to keep my hobby going. :D I don't think my fiance can argue with that :devil

-Wendy

Im sorry I didnt get a chance to answer sooner.

The tote is done in sc using a Boye I hook, no pattern. I just made a circle using only one color, increasing in every round so it wouldnt curl. It ended up being 12" round. On the last solid color round I took all the other colors and crocheted over them, then I started my pattern of 6 sc of ea color with no more increases. I think I'll make it about 18" tall, then add the handles.

The weaved baby afghans are the easiest to make. I used two color you can actually use as many as you want. With the primary color I made a chain in multiples of 12 plus 3 which will be the first dc. The pattern is 1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc till the end of the chain finish with one dc, ch 3 turn repeat 1 dc, 1, ch, 1 dc. Its a mesh. You make 8 rows in primary color, then 4 rows in accent color, Till you get the length you want ending in 8 rows of primary color. Then you take both yarns and cut them in lengths of the afghan plus 8" (this will give you 4" fringe at both ends). You start with the primary color using two strands and being careful to keep them untwisted. The start the first row going over the first chain, then the second row you go under- you keep alternating the way you start the rows throghout. Leave 4" at ea end for the fringe. Then you do the accent color for 4 rows. You keep repeating this pattern 8 primary color, 4 primary. When all the rows have been weaved you tie the fringe. On the pink one I made I just crocheted and edging over the ends of my weaved in yarn. On the blue one I tied the ends to ea other.

If you click on the pic in my Picture Trail album it gives you the name and the link to where you can find the patterns online, even the shawl has the link.

The Pineapple Pillowghan was a free pattern online but the site has since disappeared. I do have it scanned so if anyone wants that pattern I can email you a copy.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Thank you for the compliments on Susu, she is how we get our "baby fix" in our home. All my children are grown and Susu is my dear friends baby.

Marina

• 2 weeks later...

I am heading to the dollar store tomorrow!! What a great idea!! I've been wanting to make a tote bag for the beach forever and couldn't decide on a fiber to use. What a great idea!!!! :manyheart

I was wondering where to get plastic twine in nice colors. I just made my friend a purse and the original pattern called for plastic yarn but I had no idea where to get something like that or even what it was.

That's looking awesome. Is the twine difficult to work with? I've heard that making the plastic bag tote dyes your hooks, and sometimes my hands itch from using really cheap acrylics...

What wonderful work on the basket - very ingenious! I searched high and low at the hardware store, no twine anywhere near as pretty - the guys there looked at me like I was nuts when I asked...well, perhaps it was my really bad french and knowing me, instead of asking where the twine was, I probably asked where the jewlery was! :rofl

Archived