A 'Straw' Bonnet for dollies

darski

A Straw Bonnet

straw1.jpgstraw2.jpg

I had this yarn that just insisted that it had to be a common straw bonnet but one with pizzazz as well. I took care of the pizzazz with changeable bands. I plan to make more of these bands just for fun.

Once again, I want to say that this is a way to make a hat but I would encourage you to make it work for you. It is actually a tad small for what I thought it would be but there yah go. For another one, I would continue increasing for at least one more row before working the sides.

I used a 5mm hook with a medium WW yarn. You want this to be a closely-worked hat so find a hook that will make a stiff fabric based on your tension style.

Ok…

straw4.jpg

Row 1: Chain 2, 8 hdc in 2nd ch from hook

Work standard circle pattern for as many rows as you need for your little one.( I went to row 5) You are working in a spiral – do not join after each row- but you need to keep track of the beginning stitches until you stop the standard circle pattern.

Standard circle pattern

Work 2 hdc in every hdc

Work hdc in 1, 2 hdc in next

Work hdc in 2, 2 hdc in next

Work hdc in 3, 2hdc in next.

Continue working in a spiral until the crown is as large as you want. Join near the beginning (if you can find it) with a slip stitch.

Work a row of sc around the edge. join

Work a row of (FPsc in 1, 2 FPsc in next) join.

Work 2 rows of DC evenly around joining at the end of each row.

Work a final row of dc in 9, 2dc in next. Break off and tidy ends.

Make a series of hatbands to trim your hat.

This brim can be worn up or down…

straw6.jpg

I worked a chain , with 2 strands of WW yarn that fit snugly around the base of the hat and joined to form a circle. I crochet loosely and it was loose by the time I made the special stitches even though it started as a snug fit.

Hat band one: work sc in first st, work sc dec over same stitch and next stitch. Continue working sc dec over same stitch and next stitch around.

Hat band 2: work a series of Crossed Trebles around the ring made of a multiple of 3. For all of the crossed stitches there was a chain unworked between the trebles but I only put that chain in every other stitch at the top so that it would conform to the hat shape.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2007

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived