Opinions Needed about Baby Items

I have a situation and I need your opinions. I won't be starting this project for a few weeks yet so I'm not in panic mode yet.

A co-worker has just announced that she's pregnant and is due in April 2008. By April, it's getting really hot in Florida. When my oldest was born in August, I dressed her in a T-shirt and diaper to help keep her cool until it started to cool off. It doesn't start to cool down here until about the end of October. October would put the baby about 6 months.

I had made for another co-worker a layette set consisting of afghan, hat, booties, and sacque so I really can't do any less for the second co-worker.

My questions are:

1. Should I try to find layette sets made with cotton?

2. Do you know of any layette patterns made with cotton?

3. Should I make items for the colder months and not worry about making items that can be used in the hot summer?

I don't see why you couldn't use cotton for the patterns instead, you might have to got to size 3 crochet thread instead though.

Does your pattern go up to 6-9months? If so you could just go that route.

I know their are onsie and tshirt patterns too which could be an alternative. But a blanket I would think would always be welcome and can be used anytime of year (keep the chill of from AC even)

Hope that helps.

Does she know what she is having? If it is a girl this would be lovely: http://www.crochetgarden.com/babyblooms/seasidefairy.html It is lightweight and comes in many sizes. If it is going to be a boy, maybe a lightweight blanket and some cotton bibs and wash clothes along with a little toy would be great.

Instead of a layout set, why don't you make an outfit for say 6 to 12 months. Everyone gives for the little ones, and nothing for when the babie gets a little older.

You can still make a blankie, but try one with cotton. Warm and easy to care for. Also, try the size 5 perle cotton:

http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/960-store.htm

There are lots of colors and it is soft , cool and easy to take care of.:hook

Just a thought - why don't you invoke "different but equal"?:hook

Maybe a baby bath "layette" - pretty wrap-up blanket, baby wash cloths, personal items organizer (Somewhere online, I saw a pattern for a caddy that looked like a cat with a skirt that had pockets for various items), bath puff, etc.

It can be every bit as lovely, and you won't have to try to compete with yourself.:yarn

Those are really great ideas! I knew I could count on ya'll to help.

She doesn't know the sex yet. Her first sonogram is on the 28th of this month. I'm hoping the doctor will be tell the sex.

Tampa Doll -- different but equal was exactly what I was thinking about but didn't have the right words for it. I've seen that caddy. I think I have the pattern. It was really cute.

I have another question since I've only worked with Peaches & Creme -- when I go to WalMart they have different sizes 3, 10, 20, and 30 and then perle. I know the 10-30 is usually for doilies & tablecloths. What are the 3 and perle cotton used for?

if you go with thread remember that size 10, which is probably the easiest to use, can be ... thick ... for a baby's outfit ... I haven't yet threaded the patterns I have of my grandmother's but I do know she used finer weights, like 30 ....

I'll be interested to know what others say about this. I have a pattern for a preschooler age dress that's in thread and the pix (from a 1930s crochet mag) looks so lovely I want to try it one day.:hook

Those are really great ideas! I knew I could count on ya'll to help.

I have another question since I've only worked with Peaches & Creme -- when I go to WalMart they have different sizes 3, 10, 20, and 30 and then perle. I know the 10-30 is usually for doilies & tablecloths. What are the 3 and perle cotton used for?

The perle is just a shiny and softer thread. I have used the 5 in the perle. Now the 10 - 30 can be used for anything, not just doilies and tablecloths.

There is a Crochet world that has a bridal caddie that can be made and just add a duck or bear to it.:hook I will check on the date of this magazine if you like.

I had my first baby, a son, this past May. We got SOOOOO many newborn items. So now that he's starting to wear 6 month clothes (he's a big boy!), we didn't have much. I just recently put away all his newborn-3 months clothes and the bag was huge and most of the stuff, he only wore once or twice. There were some things in there he never wore.

So my opinion is....make something for an older baby. And find out what she is having and make something that is NOT pink or blue. My goodness...the amount of blue things I have is sickening. I wish someone would have made me a bright red afghan, or a kelly green sweater.

If it's a girl, try orange, or a bright purple.

I wouldn't use cotton. I don't like how it washes up for clothing. It fades too quickly. And it's not really soft if you ask me.

My mom makes a layette set for every baby born into our family (down to second cousins anyway!) and she almost always makes them for 6 or even 12 months size so the baby can grow into them. She feels they have a better chance of it fitting at least at some point that way. She made a few newborn sized a while ago, & the babies fit into them for maybe one picture and then were too big! I'm sure if you made a 'warm' one in a larger size it would be just as appreciated.

:)

P.S. I agree with leaette about going for an alternative to pink or blue! Babies look cute in every color, not just 'baby' ones! :yes

(clickable) th_BBBasket.gif

This is the basket I made for a friend. It was in the Crochet World June 2005. It was called the Bridal Shower Gift Basket. As you can see I added a duck:ducky . I also made a blankie to go with it.

I agree with the older clothes as someone else mentioned. I had tons of baby clothes but then had to go out and buy more after she was 6 months old.

Good luck!!

I want to thank everyone for their opinions. You've convinced me to make stuff for the older baby. Thank you again.

Archived