Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goaliemom33

How do you keep your yarn from tangling

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to keep your yarn from becoming a big ole tangled mess. I have tried the different type of bags that you can seperate the yarn into different pockets, two litre bottles, etc.

Any suggestions would be great

Sounds like you get it tangled when holding multiple strands? Separate the strands on the floor. Only combine a couple of feet at a time.

I use laundry baskets sometimes because they have lots of holes. I just feed the strands through and only join once they're closer to my lap.

Every couple of stitches, you may have to run your hand over the group of strands and restraighten them.

I am currently (pssst don't tell anyone) knitting Xmas stockings and the one I'm on right now is a Nordic pattern of three colors. I lay them out on a TV tray in front of my chair and as I go along they do get very tangled. But I continue as if they aren't. Then at the end of the row when it's time to turn I realize that I can then simply turn the piece end-over-end a couple of times and the strands untangle once again.

If you're dealing in thread it's quite difficult to keep it all from being an insane mess ... so that's why I choose to cut the thread and reweave it back in later when I need it again ... or find a simpler pattern, LOL

:D

Sometimes you have to turn each skein a few times too. With some skeins the yarn keeps twisting as you work, and with others it doesn't. I don't know what causes this.

Real Deal