? for Doily Makers

If I have a specific person/purpose in mind, I gift them, sometimes as a doily, sometimes as a framed piece of art.

Most of the ones here at the house have been in storage since my quasi-destructive daughter figured out how to pull up to a coffee table & turn over cups & glasses. :lookout

To me, the thrill is in watching a piece of string and a sliver of steel evolve into something breathtaking. So, often, I get caught in the thrill of the creation, that I pay no heed to such practical matters as "what I'm going to use this for".

What I'm planning to do soon, is to get 2 large pieces of plexiglass, and have them suspended from the living room ceiling, with a doily in the middle, and molly bolts or something that I can remove periodically and switch the pieces out. (We have a very small house, as 2-stories go - 1120 sq ft - and a slanted ceiling in the living room that goes to the top of the 2nd floor, with a loft looking down. Space is at a premium, but the architecture is wonderful, and I think this would accent the whole place. Light would shine through, and the cats & kid can't reach to destroy.

I like to frame them then give them as gifts. :) A lot of my family that I have given them to have very limited 'safe' space (ie where little hands, staining liquids, dust, etc. can't reach). My new thing is making them coaster size and then setting them in a resin mold...saw it in a magazine a while back and loved the idea.

Archived