RainbowAzalea

Has anyone tried felting at a laundromat?

My apartment doesn't have a washer or dryer, but I want to felt. Does anyone know how you would do it at a laundromat with industrial washers, or is this not possible?

thanks

the same way you would at home, put your product into a zippered pillowcase/bag, and throw a pair of jeans in there, use the hot cold setting and felt away.

ETA maybe do a test piece to see how it would work before doing the real deal.

I haven't tried that yet....but, I will wait to see the answer if someone has used a laundromat....I felt a lot....I feel like I am going to ruin my washer. No matter if I put my items in a pillowcase or not I always get a ton of lint. My washer is only 2 years old....

I have and maybe it is just our laundromat, but it was horrible. I ended up having to put a liner in the purse I made and I used the same yarn in my MIL washer and it felted great...just a heads up, though...

I think I may try the bucket and plunger idea...I don't really want to spend the money to run a test swatch through the laundromat

I have tried hand felting with a bucket and plunger.....my advice....don't do it...unless you have unlimited energy. I think I plunged for an hour and hardly saw any shrinkage....I still had a lot of stitches I could see....I had water everywhere...It was not a fun experience! (I did it exactly like the Knitty article states) I tried this because of worry over the fiber that was getting in my washing machine....but I decided it just wasn't worth it. (I also felt about 4-5 items at a time.)

I felted at a laundromat and it worked just fine. I used a small machine on "hot" with a pair of jeans and it worked perfectly. It did need 2 cycles to get the look I wanted, but I had no issues at all.

I have never tried felting at all. I see a lot of nice patterns and yarn for felting but have been afraid to try. Is it hard to do?

:think