Need help/advice from more exp. knitters

Dangerouscrochet

Ok. I am just as DANGEROUS knitting as crocheting. Yep, I have finished many a projects in both mediums.....however I have been working on " Brooke's Column of Leaves Scarf" and I had gone so far as to having 5 rows of leaves ( It was about 8' long) When trouble occured. Not sure WHAT happened, but I lost my place in the pattern ( every row is different) and was having soome trouble getting back on pattern, and a person asked me to seee the work, and then proceded to 'Help) me out.... let's just say she knitts VERY DIFFERENT from my technique....LOONG horrid story later. It entire scarf was ripped out.

SO my question is...... Its there ONE book that you found to be the BEST in visuale learning for knitting? The pattern has p2tog tbl. I looked this up on net, found out how to do it......and also that there is 2 different ways to purl depending on the next stitch. However, is there a hard copy out there that is the easiest and most through to follow and learn from??:think Thanks for your time!

Yes, go to the link that Karin mentioned.

Go to the glossary tab, and look up p2tog tbl section (on right column, right below p2tog section). There are two videos, either for contiential or english. Hope it helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't seem to get enough knitting books, I do like my KNitting for Dummies and Stitch and Bitch. However I still seem to end up looking online once in awhile to find things not gone into detail in them. I suppose there's just so much to know that one book with EVERYTHING would be a thousand pages! Amazon has alot listed, I have about 10 more on my wish list. :c9

Then I learned to crochet, luckily all learned online, I ran out of money for books and have learned all for free on here and other great places. I'm thinking maybe I don't need books? :think

Nahhhh......:no

I found some really good dvd's and videos at my local library - "Learn to Knit" by Tracie Wunderlich and Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting Workshop" were very helpful at explaining stitches that were confusing to figure out from books. The knittinghelp website also has great visuals.

If I had to choose one basic book......probably "Knitting in Plain English" by Maggie Righetti or "The Knitting Experience" series (three books, really) by Sally Melville.

• 2 weeks later...

I got Vogue Knitting as a gift, and it is very good. The local library doesn't seem to have much, but there is a county-wide library share program where we can go online and request books from any library in our county and it is delivered to our local library within a day of becoming available. Maybe your county has something similar. Also, don't be afraid to go to Barnes & Nobel (or the like) and look through everything they have until you find something that you really feel is worth spending the $ on. Donna

What a wonderful program that your libraries have!! I have purchased my first knitting book...."Domiknitrix" Whip your knitting into shape. LOADS of photos and easy to understand information. Aquires it on Amazon for less that $8.00 including shipping.

• 1 month later...

Yes, http://www.knittinghelp.com is the best site with online tutorials. As far as finding your place in your pattern, what I do when that happens on a complicated pattern is to find the last worked row that you recognize in the pattern and then frog to there. The website I mentioned has a great tutorial on how to use a smaller circular needle and insert it in the row that you recognize. Then you can freely rip out the offending rows and not worry about where to stop. You will be ripping out down to the row that you put on the circular needle, then knit right off the circular onto the needle you are using for your work and proceed! No dropped stiches and you'll be right where you can pick up the pattern again!

Beth...what has become of this scarf? Have you tried it over? Donna C

I am not sure if I had written what occured before I ' took a break'

One of the ladies in the kintting group had attempted to help me, and she started knitting it up, and let's just say the differences in her and my own knitting style/skill was VERY apparent....that coupled with the fact that the row she picked up on was the row 'after' tinking....and I had put the stitches back on the needle BACKWARDS.......

The whole thing as a night mare. To make matters beyond help. The woman totally ripped out the whole scarf.:(

It is funny that you would ask about it.....I just pulled out the pattern on Friday afternoon and have been thinking I am close to trying it again.:clap

BUT, I don't think I will be taking it back to the knitting group :devil

I am thinking about trying it again after I finish the 1 mitten, a winter cap and a baby balnket I am working on. Thinking about picking up the new needles from knitpiks ....I am betting the scarf will be much more manageable on those neeldes ( I knit SUPER tight most of the time) The pointy point should help.

Awww...That is discouraging. Did you smack her? I wanna know, too! ; )

I hope your next attempt proves more satisfying than the first time.

I had some bad advice from a LYS when I first started knitting. I had no clue about what kind of yarn or needles I needed, and everything they gave me ended up horribly difficult for a beginner....argh! Found some other types of yarn/needles at another store and gave it another shot - then, it all fell into place and worked much better. Hope things work out for you as well.

• 1 month later...

I like the Harmony Guide to Knitting Techniques, but it may be hard to find (try ebay or Amazon).

Online, I agree that knittinghelp.com is great. They have video clips for techniques in both English and Continental methods. Their directions are really clear.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I like to put "safety lines" every five rows or so. I just take a piece of contrasting yarn about double the width of the article and yarn needle it all the way across, then tie the ends together loosley. I then mark the row on the pattern. So if I do need to rip back, I can't go past the safety line.

That way if I make a booboo it doesn't turn into a boohoo.

Archived