How does Etsy work?

hhensler

Question

7 answers to this question

Well, it's pretty simple 1) figure out your price for the item, add 20c for the posting fee, and $2 for the pay pal fee when it sells. 2) figure out what your US shipping and over seas shipping (if you are going to do overseas) will cost, the post office can help with that.

You'll want to have a PAYPAL account set up too.

You'll need a good photo of your item (what the pattern makes). Then you post it with a title like "PATTERN to make Joe the goldfish" and a brief description. The posting process and setting up your account are pretty simple (I managed it in one go).

Be sure to plan carefully, ahead of time, how you are going to handle returns... I don't have "sized" items, and my photos are all good and clear, so I've got a no-returns policy in place. If someone would have a REAL problem with something they ordered from me, I could work something out with them.

If your patterns are throughly tested, returns shouldn't be a problem.

Then tell all your friends, and give them some cards for them to pass to their friends... and put a link to your shop in your blog, and wait for the orders to come in.

I've sold a LOT of items since January, and had maybe 10 customers (some keep returning and/or buying multiple items) so far, and only one LEMON.

However, since you don't ship out ANYTHING until the payment arrives, you won't have any losses.

If you're selling patterns, you won't have to worry about postage. You can offer them as pdf files that can be emailed to the customer. Make sure that you specify that it is the pattern only and not the finished product. You can browse other shops to see the average price for the pattern/item you are selling. That will give you an idea of how much you want to charge.

Trin covered most of the details. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Well, it's pretty simple 1) figure out your price for the item, add 20c for the posting fee, and $2 for the pay pal fee when it sells. 2) figure out what your US shipping and over seas shipping (if you are going to do overseas) will cost, the post office can help with that.

I don't think PayPal take that much. I sell USD 5 pattern, and I think Pay Pal only take about 50 cents

Etsy has the fees listed and a good explanation at this link http://www.etsy.com/how_selling_works.php

Paypal is a flat fee plus percentage, I have only been charged 40 cents on each of the transactions I have had.

It looks like at lot depends on how much you charge for an item, the flat fee is one thing, it's then the percentage after that, that can add up.

I don't think PayPal take that much. I sell USD 5 pattern, and I think Pay Pal only take about 50 cents

I'm selling finished items for about $20 each... so my fees have been higher... I was guestimating based on what my personal experience has been and didn't consider that patterns are going to be a different price range than my finished amigurumi. :D

I read what the Etsy people had to say on the link Pam provided. Etsy provides a "free" space where you can have your store for "free" but you have to pay them 20 cents for each item you list (per month?), and 3 1/2% of your sales. Uh-huh. That's free?

Real Deal

Archived