Does anyone use a portable magnifying lamp?

Katy

I'm thinking about a portable (maybe clip on, maybe around my neck) magnifying lamp. Sometimes I'm places too dark to work. Also, I am taking off my glasses a lot to see little work (The trifocal prescription is correct but obviously doesn't work that well). Just wondered if folks find these clumsy or helpful.

thanks,

Katy

I have both the larger on the floor magnifying lamp and it is ok, just kind of hard to get under and the one that goes around your neck. I like the neck one best It is what I used when I was crocheting with thread and I could use it for hours....JMHO I got mine at JoAnn's on sale when they were 1/2 off coupon

thanks. I ordered an around your neck magnifier & lamp from Herrshners. Thinking I can carry it around in case I get stuck somewhere without good light. And am wondering if the magnifier will help the trifocal problem. We'll see when it comes...

I just met womeone last week who embroiders with fine silk. She went to an eye doctor and got a prescription for a pair of glasses to do the magnification for her. She said they were like 6.0, whatever that means.

But I've ordered glasses online at zenni optical and for $19 / pair, if you had a prescription made, it may be worth it.

• 9 months later...

Hi! At Joanns they have clip on magnifiing glasses. They clip on your eye glasses and you can lift them up when you don't need them. I just bought me two pair and I love them. Although my husband says I look like a granny. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I have used the headband style magnifying glass and I really like it. I purchased it at AC Moore for about $40 ? (use the coupon). It fits like a hair band and the lens part flips up and down rather like a welder's helmet. It is comfortable to wear and I often forget I have it on when it's flipped up.

I wear bifocals, but when I crochet with thread I just ditch my glasses and use the half-style magnifying glasses. They work the best for me. I move around too much (rocking in my chair and up and down for the phone, cats, kids, etc.) to make a stationary magnifier work for me.

Archived