S.S.S. Second Sock Syndrome

Hazlecreek

I haven't started knitting socks yet, but I have already heard alot about this illness! You are so excited about doing socks, but once you have finished that first one you lose all your excitement about starting the second one, and there sets one poor lonely sock. Well, a lady in Maryville, Tennessee has solved this problem for us.

My mom sent me an artical about a book that shows you how to knit both socks at the same time. The book is called “Knitting Circles Around Socks” (Martingale & Company, $24.95) by Antje Gillingham, and can be found on Amazon.com. This is the first book about socks that I plan to buy!! :lol

If you would like to read the story you can find it here.

Yes, that sounds like a great book. I'm gonna have to try this sometime! For speed and efficiency, it sounds like a winner. :yarn

Just another option for this...knit them both at the same time on dpns. You just have to have two sets of the correct size dpn and each sock needs its own ball of yarn. I learned socks on dpns, so that's a comfortable option for me (I know many people hate those things!;)). Anyway, I cast on for two separate socks and alternate knitting between the two sets so they progress together. It sure beats having one sock done and having to do another later, which is such a bummer -- bleeehhhh!

I know many people knit both sleeves/socks together to avoid SSS (Second Sleeve/Sock Syndrome!) But I have never been able to bring myself to do it. I am too impatient to get the first one finished and see how it looks.

And yes, I invariably suffer from SSS!

I have never knitted socks, but I always knit both sleeves at the same time. This is because I make my own adjustments to patterns, and I want to ensure I make the same adjustments to both. Strangely enough, the garment seems to get completed much quicker by this method.

I remember now that my grandmother did this ... it involved 2 skeins (otherwise they'd be attached at every row!) and thank you so much for this reminder as I head into Xmas WIPs of sweaters

I remember the one and only time I knit a pair of socks ... they were argyle and boy did I have to force myself to start the 2nd one!!!!! but my Dad, God bless him, wore them anytime I visited .,...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes, that sounds like a great book. I'm gonna have to try this sometime! For speed and efficiency, it sounds like a winner. :yarn

Just another option for this...knit them both at the same time on dpns. You just have to have two sets of the correct size dpn and each sock needs its own ball of yarn. I learned socks on dpns, so that's a comfortable option for me (I know many people hate those things!;)). Anyway, I cast on for two separate socks and alternate knitting between the two sets so they progress together. It sure beats having one sock done and having to do another later, which is such a bummer -- bleeehhhh!

I love knitting socks but some times like everyone here says the 2nd sock can be a bummer. I don't know how to knit socks using the circular needles and your idea sounds interesting but I'm afraid I don't understand how your doing this. Is there any way you can give a visual or maybe more detailed info?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarasara

Yes, that sounds like a great book. I'm gonna have to try this sometime! For speed and efficiency, it sounds like a winner.

Just another option for this...knit them both at the same time on dpns. You just have to have two sets of the correct size dpn and each sock needs its own ball of yarn. I learned socks on dpns, so that's a comfortable option for me (I know many people hate those things!). Anyway, I cast on for two separate socks and alternate knitting between the two sets so they progress together. It sure beats having one sock done and having to do another later, which is such a bummer -- bleeehhhh!

I love knitting socks but some times like everyone here says the 2nd sock can be a bummer. I don't know how to knit socks using the circular needles and your idea sounds interesting but I'm afraid I don't understand how your doing this. Is there any way you can give a visual or maybe more detailed info?

Can someone please share with me how to knit 2 socks at the same time using the double pointed needles? I want to learn to!

• 3 weeks later...

I have only been knitting for about I'd say.... a week. And I love my dpns. I am on the foot part of one sock and doing the gusset on the other.

Can someone please share with me how to knit 2 socks at the same time using the double pointed needles? I want to learn to!

This is a picture of my socks 2 days ago, each sock is on it's own set of dpns and has it's own ball of yarn. What you do is cast on one sock, work as far as you'd like, like say till your done with the leg ribbing. Then set down that sock and cast on, and knit the 2nd sock to the same point. Then go back and forth between them until they are both done. The guide/pattern that I am following splits the socks up into several "sections"

• the leg ribbing
  • heel flap
  • heel turn
  • gusset
  • foot
  • toe decreases
  • toe grafting

So I just work each sock until I finish that part or section, then do the same on the other sock. Just back and forth.

th_100_2604.jpg CLICKABLE

Tip: I found out that when I go to the 2nd sock, I know the technique pretty well and don't make the mistakes I did on the first one. So instead of finishing a certain section on sock 2 and then going back to sock 1 to learn the new part, I keep going on sock 2 till I finish the new part. That way I don't have a perfect sock and one with lots of mistakes. I have a set of red dpns and purple dpns so I don't get mixed up between which is which sock.

When knitting slippers I do both at the same time. This also helps me know that I have the same number of rows on each.

I saw that book on Amazon and was very interested it in but was hesitant to pay that much for a book I MAY use. I'd like to look at in person first. I'm gonna have to see if any of the local stores have it, check it out and if I can get it for less money on Amazon then I may do that.

• 2 weeks later...
I have only been knitting for about I'd say.... a week. And I love my dpns. I am on the foot part of one sock and doing the gusset on the other.

This is a picture of my socks 2 days ago, each sock is on it's own set of dpns and has it's own ball of yarn. What you do is cast on one sock, work as far as you'd like, like say till your done with the leg ribbing. Then set down that sock and cast on, and knit the 2nd sock to the same point. Then go back and forth between them until they are both done. The guide/pattern that I am following splits the socks up into several "sections"

• the leg ribbing
  • heel flap
  • heel turn
  • gusset
  • foot
  • toe decreases
  • toe grafting

So I just work each sock until I finish that part or section, then do the same on the other sock. Just back and forth.

th_100_2604.jpg CLICKABLE

Tip: I found out that when I go to the 2nd sock, I know the technique pretty well and don't make the mistakes I did on the first one. So instead of finishing a certain section on sock 2 and then going back to sock 1 to learn the new part, I keep going on sock 2 till I finish the new part. That way I don't have a perfect sock and one with lots of mistakes. I have a set of red dpns and purple dpns so I don't get mixed up between which is which sock.

Thank you for responding. I thought no one was listening. I wish I could see your picture but unfortunately I can not see photobucket. Is there any way you can post the picture another way?

thanks, rhonda

Rhonda,

Let me see if I can explain it differently.

She has two sets of dpns and is knitting one sock on one dpn set and another sock on the the other set. Just going back and forth between the two. Thats how I make mine as well when I use dpns.

491633171_3e25327f50_s.jpg

You can make two socks at once two circular needles or two socks at once on magic loop.

When I do magic loop I prefer to use two circs with one sock on each circ so I can avoid my yarn balls form getting tangled.

541422685_89f4f39423_s.jpg

If if you do some google foo for magic loop socks or sock on two circs you should find some picks for those methods as well.

There is also a way to make two sock at once using only one set of dpns (I think!) using a double knitting technique. That is beyond me right now.

Thank you soooooooooo much! I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to knit 2 socks at the same time on double pointed needles. Now I have something eles to learn. Thanks guys. your the best!

Archived