Nylon thread

LadyBeBop

I usually crochet with yarn, but I have enough knowledge in thread to get me in trouble. :blush

That said...I want to make the purse that was the feature pattern on the Annie's Attic site two days ago. It calls for: J. & P. Coats nylon thread(150 yds per spool): 550 yds red #06.

Is the #06 the weight or the color? I couldn't find any J & P Coats nylon thread, but I found a few other brands. However, none is 06 weight. I saw a 2 weight, a 5 weight and an 18 weight. Assuming I make a gauge swatch, would any of these yarns do?

I'm sorry if I sound stoopid...but I want this to turn out.

I made a purse using the nylon thread a couple years ago (pattern from the SNB book). For once, my Walmart did have the J.P. Coats nylon thread in stock. But only black and white for colors. It was fun to work with. Check with your LYS or Walmart. The nylon thread was next to the regular doily thread.

I agree with Antara. The #06 is the color #.

I bought some nylon at HL, and it is "18". It looks to be about the same size as the J&P Nylon that I saw last night at Wal-Mart. Hope this helps.

That's what I was hoping. I found the same 18 at HL yesterday and wanted to get that.

I wasn't going to make it in red...I was aiming for an earthtones color.

I usually crochet with yarn, but I have enough knowledge in thread to get me in trouble. :blush

That said...I want to make the purse that was the feature pattern on the Annie's Attic site two days ago. It calls for: J. & P. Coats nylon thread(150 yds per spool): 550 yds red #06.

Is the #06 the weight or the color? I couldn't find any J & P Coats nylon thread, but I found a few other brands. However, none is 06 weight. I saw a 2 weight, a 5 weight and an 18 weight. Assuming I make a gauge swatch, would any of these yarns do?

I'm sorry if I sound stoopid...but I want this to turn out.

Actually the #06 is the color. If I remember correctly the size is about a size 5.

Don't know what HL is, but you must check out http://www.crochetstyleetc.com. The owner, Mona is quite talented with the Hilos Omega nylon yarn. I love working with it! Mona has pics of various projects, patterns some free and others very reasonably priced. And the colors?!? Woohoo!!! Yes size #18 is the same as the JP Coats black and white. I believe they discontinued the other colors. I was quite upset, as this occurred just when I was coming into the nylon yarn "thing". I've made bags, belts, cell cases, change purses and even a bikini! I'm really getting into jewelry now. As I said, I love it! Good luck and have fun.

• 4 months later...

I have just been looking for a similar thread/yarn. The #6 is ore of a weight size. I have 2 spools of nylon thread which are #6 in weight and are different colors. A comparable thread size in other threads is about size 5. I have another spool of thread which says #24 and is about a size 3 or a bit heavier in other threads. J & P Coats Nylon thread no longer comes in Red (at least from what I could find). The only colors I could find for this particular thread was the bland colors such as brown, black, taupe, and a few others.

Several of the on-line have this yarn.

Janet

The Hobby Lobby nylon thread in the size you need is called "Hilos La Espiga #18". It comes in a wide range of colors and works up very similarly to J&P Coats. It's also similarly priced, at least here.

I've had a hard time finding local places that carry colors other than black and white in the J&P Coats.

Archived