Grandma's Afghan**UPDATED**

yarnlover66

If her tails wont stay in maybe you can take some thread the same color and whip stitch them down on the back side of the afgan. I hate to say this but most people who dont crochet cant tell the front from the back of stuff anyway. This is just too beautiful for words.

It's a beautiful afgan--a really nice pattern. I'm 34 and still have the baby afghan my grandma made for me in 1973. She passed away when I was only 9, so it's pretty special to me. I think an afgan from a grandma is like a warm hug.

Well ladies, I'll tell you about my blanket(s). Last summer (2006) when my grandfather passed away, my mother and I helped my grandmother pack up her things and move into an assisted apartment. Well, she gave me a blanket that she crocheted and it sat on her bed as long as I can remember. She asked if I would want "that ole'thing" because she was going to just send it away to goodwill. I said YES!!!!! of course I want that! Then I reminded her that was the exact blanket that she had showed me how to crochet on. She said "That's right..that was a long time ago!" I told her it was extra special to me for that reason. Then she pulled out a ripple lapghan and asked if I wanted that. She said it was the last thing she was working on before she had quit crocheting because of her hands bothering her. I jumped at that too and said, "I love anything that you make." Well, let me just tell you people that I am so glad I have those 2 blankets...1 that we made together and the last one she made. She passed away just 2 weeks ago, she was only 69 and wasn't really sick. So her passing was a complete shock...now those afghans mean even more to me! That is why I crochet...I want my family to have a "piece of me" when I am gone. I have slept with those blankets ever since she gave them to me and now I feel like she is still with me in a way!

Archived