Grandma's Afghan**UPDATED**

yarnlover66

My grandma is in her 80's and is preparing to move into an assisted living community and has been cleaning out her house. She came across this strip afghan she probably started over 10-15 years ago. (she quit crocheting and took up quilting). She gave it to me to finish. I don't like finishing someone else's projects, but I took it because I don't have any of my grandma's crochet. All the strips were complete all I had to do this weekend was hook the strips together and do a simple trim just to finish it off. I found that when she added the next skein of yarn she left very tiny tails for weaving in. I hope it doesn't all unravel on me some day!!

Since it has been so many years, my dye lots are off slightly. I didn't know what size hook she used or what yarn she used. All in all I think it turned out pretty nice. Here is the finished afghan.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/Crochet%20Projects/?action=view&current=grandmaparisafghan2007finishedbyme.jpg

***I STAND CORRECTED! I talked to my mom just now and she said that G'ma started this afghan 20-25 years ago...NOT 10-15 like I thought. It is old! LOL

quote.gif

Like you, I don't like finishing somebody else's work, but you did a great job on a beautiful pattern. I'm sure it made your grandma very happy.

Your mention of the short yarn ends reminded me of a woman in a Project Linus group I used to meet with who used to grumble about my wastefulness in leaving too-long tails to weave in. She was just enough older than I to belong to a more frugal generation.

Oh My! That's gorgeous! You are so lucky. You have a family treasure there! Please give your grandmother a hug from all of us at the 'ville. :hug and thank her sharing for her talent!

I remember when I started crocheting years ago and didn't have much money(Not that I have a lot now) but I used to think it was ok to leave tiny tails to save on my yarn. Now I realize that usually at the end of a project I have so much left over and it is safer to leave longer tails...I do. I just know when I try to weave in these 1-2" tails on my g'ma's afghan that they are just going to pop out in time and hopefully won't unravel.

Thank you for all the compliments. I will share them with my g'ma.

aww ginamaria :hug It is a very special blessing that I had the opportunity to do this. In any other family I bet those strips would have been just tossed out, but I was fortunate enough to have the skills to complete the afghan. :D Therefore, I am the lucky one.

I just ran into my g'ma in the grocery store and told her about completing her afghan. She said she when she used to work years ago that the ladies that she worked with were all crocheting the same pattern. The other ladies finished but she never did. She said she always thought it was a beautiful pattern. I guess it was like the CAL a long time ago! :D I also told her about your compliments. She just beamed. :yes Thank you for making her day!

My mom is going to take the afghan over to her tonight for her to see. My mom is the eldest of 7 siblings and they are all getting together with g'ma tonight for a bbq for Labor Day.

That brought a tear to my eye. I think its wonderful for you both. Her to see it finally finished so beautifully and for you to have something to bring you very happy memories in years to come.

It is very beautiful please give my compliments to your Grandma.

I love your Grandmother's afghan. She will be honored that you finished it and you are honored to have something that both of you worked on. This will be something to hand down from generation to generation. You both did an excellent job on this afghan and it is beautiful.

Archived