• yes, it is completely and fully ugly
    • I wouldn't make that but know people who would want it
    • I would make it but not wear it
    • I like it!!! You don't know what you are talking about

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thought was potholders,too.

It looks badly made,too big for the model,I could go on.

I agree,it does give crochet a bad name.

Back in the 70s when my grandmother taught my mother, my aunt, my cousin and I to crochet, this scarf was what was showing up in the crochet magazines that were being published. It's the reason why knitters think they're so superior to crochetiers. It's what people who don't know how far crochet has come think of when they think of crochet. It's everything BAD about crochet! It's your worst crochet nightmare! :lol

Elle

Oh, I don't know Elle - I have several magazines from the 70's and there isn't much in there that rivals this scarf for plain old ugliness, lol!

Yeah, there are lots of granny squares, but they are done with a better sense of design than this yarn-hog.

It's clearly been done to make you buy one of each skein of Vanna's Choice yarn, and frankly, I resent yarn companies putting out bad patterns just to try to have us buy more yarn.

I know that they are in business to have us buy yarn, but at least have the decency to provide us with quality patterns to use said yarn!

I mean, look at Coats and Clark - they have a whole magazine full of patterns (Crochet Today!) that use only their yarn, and they aren't slapped together yarn-hogs. They are thoughtful, attractive, useable and wearable patterns that just happen to use Coats and Clark yarns.

Anyway, the scarf is still ugly, and I feel sorry for the staffer at Lion Brand that was forced to write out that pattern.

I wasn't able to see it, but I think I have a general idea of what it looks like from what others have said.

I've seen several patterns done with Vanna's Choice yarn, and I think they're all ugly because of the colors that are used in the patterns. For example, there's an afghan pattern that uses that yarn. It's just squares (not even granny squares) made from different color rows and put together. The afghan wouldn't look so bad if they just hadn't used the colors that they did, but because of the poor choices in colors, it looks... tacky...

Wow. I was afraid I was the only one to think that about this scarf. I have made a granny square scarf before and while it's not one of my favorite methods for scarfs, it looks a thousand times better, simply because of well.... color scheme and size! That would probably look kind of cute a bit smaller and in just a couple of colors. Although.... if there was a blizzard with 4 feet of snow and for some reason I had to walk out my house, it certainly looks warm enough! See! A plus side for a $50+ dollar scarf that looks like a train wreck!

U-G-L-Y you ain't got know alibi

your scarf is UGLY!!!

OMG that thing is way too everything to be remotely cute

**shudders** that is exactly the kind of thing that gives crochet a bad name!!

I have nothing against granny square scarves in general that one is just so WRONG! It needs to be a lot less bulky for starters.

I feel that I should mention that I really do appreciate all that Lion Brand does for us and I don't hold this item up as an example of all Lion patterns.

They should not get away with ugly but they should not be condemned out of hand either.

Thanks Lion, I do appreciate you :hug

It is completely ugly. But I do have to agree with one person's comment - I think there are alot of college students who would definitely wear this. I work at a university and some of the outfits you see have to be "just how ugly can I make this?" I wouldn't insult vintage or retro by putting it in those categories.

I saw this pattern too and wondered if anyone else thought it was as horrible as I did!! It's not even well made which is a bad advertisement for the yarn they used.

Kim

That's just it: it's not well crocheted, IMHO. I also agree with the posters who say that this just reinforces all the stereotypes of clunky crochet. Tacky!

Beth

It is completely ugly. But I do have to agree with one person's comment - I think there are alot of college students who would definitely wear this. I work at a university and some of the outfits you see have to be "just how ugly can I make this?" I wouldn't insult vintage or retro by putting it in those categories.

Hey now, I would say 95% of us dress quite normally (at least at my very large college)... I've asked the girls I know who dress like you described if they would wear this (showed them the picture) and all of them said they would never wear it. :shrug

If that had been done in different yarn and in a monochromatic scheme (or even just in a single color) then this scarf would be acceptable.

The way it's done in the picture? Hideous. I wouldn't even have worn that as a beginning crocheter at the age of 9.

I only saw it in a flash, but I think it's a bad color combo. It looks like some kind of motifs linked together. Might be better as an afghan, but in nicer colors. A little too wide for me, I like my scarves about half that width. Looks warm though. With all the outrageous stuff young people (13 to 20 YO's) wear, somebody's bound to love it. 20 yrs from now people will say "Why did I ever make that?'' (burning photos).

Ellie 13

Oh man that is one ***** scarf, maybe if you brought the color combo down to three colors that blended well together and did a smaller granny of two or three rounds with a baby weight or sport weight yarn it wouldn't look like something your grandmother put on the back of her couch.

I don't find it that much ugly, but it's put together horribly. It looks like it needs an edging. I don't like scarves so I don't usually wear them but if I did, I might make this using my own color scheme, sew them together straight, edge it and then show it off. Honestly, I think the last several bunches of Lion Brand entries have included many really ugly, badly designed, poorly executed and terribly photographed crocheted items.

This would be a good Crochet Snark entry . :lol

Archived