Wear that bedspread

Is the linked scarf ugly or what  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Is the linked scarf ugly or what

• yes, it is completely and fully ugly
    • I wouldn't make that but know people who would want it
    • I would make it but not wear it
    • I like it!!! You don't know what you are talking about

This pattern has been bothering me for some time now...

**Warning, you have to be signed in to view the scarf usually**

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60563A.html?noImages=

Yes, it is a personal opinion but IMHO this is sooooooo far past ugly that it should not be mentioned in polite company. I cannot understand how this got to be considered as something that people would make and wear.

I guess I am seeking understanding.

If any of you like this (as is your right) can you explain the appeal?

I would like to be able to see what others see in something like this. :think:think:think

The good news is that it does not contain any fake fur :clap

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what makes the picture so horrible is the colors used. Too hodge-podge, scrapghan looking. All in one or two colors would make it a nice wide scarf that could coordinate well with a heavy coat for the winter. I don't think it makes a nice 'accessory' scarf, but might work as an item of warmth with a coat.

I personally would never wear it or make it (the joining alone would drive me nuts).

I think I must agree , the colours are really bad, and it looks kind of.... I didn't know what else to do and spent my time with this .... Maybe in different colours....

But even then this is just not my thing :)

PS Good to see you back Darski, we missed you :manyheart

I live in a very "artsy" community. I think something like that would go over very well here. It's non traditional and say's "Look at me!!" With 5 colleges in less than 10 miles from each other, I'd call it a winner. I personally think I'm too old for that look, but I think younger people would enjoy it.

Stuff like that is exactly what causes people to say that crochet is old fashioned. It looks like some of the granny ghans my mom made and sold in the 70's. Much better as a bedspread. But it's so bulky as a scarf. I have to agree, very ugly.:eek

Poorly done. Could almost pass for potholders/ dishcloths randomly strewn together - the joining is sloppy, the choice of colors distasteful(in my opinion) -

My mother made each of us kids a scraf like that when we were little. Not the same pattern of course, but she would make granny squares with her scrap yarn, put them together in a line and call it a scraf. I wouldn't wear it then, and I still won't wear it today. I don't care if it is a Vanna pattern, and using her yarn. IT IS STILL UGLY!:yuck

I agree it is ugly.

I also agree part of the problem is color choice.

The other thing going on that is that it is a long (end to end) scarf that got wrapped around her neck in a weird way making it look even uglier.

It's hard to tell really if it's poorly joined or not because of the bad angles. Whatever, it's ugly either way.

:yes

that is one butt-ugly scarf, no doubt about it.

one thing i notice is that it uses a whole lot of Vanna's Choice yarn which is supposed to 'coordinate' but with that many colors in that small of a space it just ends up clashing with itself.

it looks way too bulky - as someone mentioned it is long and wrapped strangely so it just looks like it's eating her head

I live in a very "artsy" community. I think something like that would go over very well here. It's non traditional and say's "Look at me!!" With 5 colleges in less than 10 miles from each other, I'd call it a winner. I personally think I'm too old for that look, but I think younger people would enjoy it.

I don't live in an "artsy" place now, but I use to. So maybe that's why I don't think it awful. I wouldn't wear it personaly. It's just not my style. But my sister would, if it were cold enough to need scarves here :lol LOL

To me that has definitely been hit with an ugly stick. :eek

It's way too bulky, It looks sloppy, and the colors don't work. I would be ashamed to admit I made that, and would never consider wearing it no matter how cold it was.

There are so many wonderful patterns out there. Why do they have to give crochet a bad name with something like that?

Poor color choice, poor construction, poor model who had to wear it....it is definitely ugly. Might make a nice gift for a blind person that doesn't mind being the butt of a practical joke when they go out in public.

Well it does say not your average granny scarf. :D

I really hope whomever designed this, isn't on this board. I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings but I have to agree with most of you that I really don't understand this scarf either. It must be one of those kitsch things. Wearable art, like the stranger the better? Not for me though.

Even the poor model doesn't look very happy. Look at how her shoulders are slumping! And is that a fake smile or what?:D

This would be a good project to look at when you think you've made something ugly. It'll restore your confidence in your own project!

The squares are too big to be a scarf, for one. The colors are too random, the joining is poor and it's wrapped oddly around her neck - probably because it's too wide.

The same pattern, with better color choice and the squares made smaller for a more narrow scarf, could look nice.

Personally, I love granny squares, but this a really poor execution of them. I wouldn't even make a blanket out of this pattern!

. It must be one of those kitsch things.

I don't know about that - I'm totally into kitschy stuff and I don't care for this. Kitsch doesn't have to mean tacky or poorly made. I've collected several crochet books from the 1970's, and while some of the stuff is just plain ugly, a lot of it has better shaping and looks nicer than modern "easy" patterns.

With the exception of the toys. Most of them are just plain hideous. Good gravy marie, were they TRYING to frighten children back in the day?

Anyway, yeah, this scarf is just bad design.

The squares are too big to be a scarf, for one. The colors are too random, the joining is poor and it's wrapped oddly around her neck - probably because it's too wide.

The same pattern, with better color choice and the squares made smaller for a more narrow scarf, could look nice.

Personally, I love granny squares, but this a really poor execution of them. I wouldn't even make a blanket out of this pattern!

I don't think it is all that bad, but agree the squares could be smaller, and maybe better in different colors, although I don't even think the colors are that bad. It surprised me that I don't think it's that bad since I'm usually very picky about crochet items and don't like a lot of stuff even that I see here, although I won't say what since I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.:eek But you can look on my blog and see what I've made and hopefully you will think I have good taste.

Archived