Knit and Crochet Today Air Times

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been in touch with most of the PBS stations across the country and many more than expected are interested in the show.:cheer ....but it's still tough rounding up all the air times, etc. Since each station works independently they get to decide when they air the show. I should have a list up on the www.knitandcrochettoday web site within a week. Just to let you guys know I’m told we will be on the "Create" channel starting in January and we will also be rerunning the show on the regular PBS stations in January. I am so appreciative of the input everyone has given me and would love to hear more of what you would like on the show….so keep posting and I’ll keep in touch.

Candi

Just to let you guys know I’m told we will be on the "Create" channel starting in January

:welcomeCandi, :manyheart all your books!

Thanks for the info, I actually get the "Create" channel, I can't wait to watch the show in January.:tup I've written them asking for the show as well as the South Florida PBS station.

I just watched the second episode. Much better than the first show. :tup The topic this week was embellishing your items, and they showed different embroidery stitches for your items. Since I can't embroider, I learned a lot. :P Yeah, I know there's books and web pages; however I need someone to actually demonstrate the stitches.

The editor of Vogue Knitting was also on to explain how fashion trends dictate the patterns that go into the magazine. That was interesting; however I'd love to see how it relates to crochet as well. (Although, doesn't Vogue Knitting have some crochet as well?)

I'm also trying to get the website changed so we have all the free patterns and info about the show. Sadly it's like slogging through mud....these thing just take longer than expected. I'm also working on getting the show to run on streaming video on the Detroit PBS station. More on that when I hear from them. Also, thanks for the kind words.

Candi

Well, I watched my dvr'd 2nd episode, and it wasn't bad.

Here are my brutally honest opinions for you, Candi, bearing in mind that I like the show and I think we need lots more crochet on TV!:

1. More new projects - I loved the projects the first time I saw them last year in Crochet Today!. I don't mind say, if in the embellishment segment, the black and white afghan and the snowflake afghan were shown as examples of what you can do, but it would be nice if a new project was included, even if the pattern wasn't yet available. If it was available in NEXT month's Crochet Today! (or the website as a free pattern, if that's important for PBS requirements), that would be really awesome.

2. The end segment when the lady basically repeats EVERYTHING the guests and host just told us. I can't stand when DIY shows do that. Maybe it's just my pet peeve, and everyone else loves seeing what they just saw 10 minutes ago repeated nearly verbatim, but it drives me nuts. Again, using the embellishment episode as an example, if she wanted to talk about using different embroidery stitches on crochet, or about using crochet itself as an embellishment (for example, the doilies on the denim skirts in a recent issue of the magazine, or using small thread motifs on t-shirts). For this particular episode, after the hostess went on and on about how, ahem, ugly the backs of the embellished afghans were, some advice on how to keep the backs of embroidered items neat, if not pretty, would be nice. I think this section of the show should be extra, in depth, info. Sort of a "now that you've got the basics down, this is what else you can do with it" instead of the remedial lesson it is now. To me, it's wasted time and I'll probably just fast forward through it from now on if it looks to stay the same. (Yes, I know the current episodes were taped ages ago, so I'll be fast forwarding for a few episodes, at least, lol)

3. More "why" and less "what". Referring again to episode 2, when the guest told us to put the yarn behind the afghan, then pull it through, that's a fine instruction, but some explanation as to why would have been good. Also, I would have liked to know when to use the embroidery chain stitch or to use surface slip stitch - or if it doesn't matter. That wasn't made clear.

We're getting LOTS of information, but it's not always being explained well, and it's being repeated, as if simply repeating it will help us understand it, when elaboration would probably be more helpful.

The one knit/crochet show I really get good information from, although the projects are kind of frumpy, is Shay Pendray's show.

Uncommon Threads has weird projects, and often they are very, very simple.

Vicki what's-her-name's show is totally knit-centric and usually not relevant to my interests, but her instruction is good.

If your show could have crochet projects like the magazine, but not the exact same ones, but with the instructional style of Shay Pendray and her guests crossed with Vicki Howell (aha, I CAN remember names, lol!), it would be darn near perfect.

Also, please stop having the Cassi pretend to be dumb about crochet; we all know she's not. Your audience probably either gets your magazine, knows someone who does or has heard about it online. And we all know that she designs and crochets hats - she can't be a dim bulb if she does that. She can still ask questions for the beginners in the audience without acting like a ditz.

All that said, I can't wait for next week's show. I know y'all are still working the kinks out and it's going to be fun seeing the show grow and change!

I wanna see the show :(

I guess another email to my PBS station is due:tryme , they love me over there.:D

And what is the 'Create' channel? :think I have Dish Network, they love me too. :lol

So if there is a channel out there that I should know about, someone let me know what it is! Thanx!

Ok folks! Here are the air times for the show in Maryland! I'm looking forward to it starting this week! Now if I can just fine Maryland Public Television on our new cable!

Please note that “Knit and Crochet Today” will air on Saturdays at 8AM. The October schedule is as follows:

“Felting” (10/6)

“Embellishing” (10/13)

“Socks” (10/20)

“Hats” (10/27)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give everyone an update as to the airing of "Knit & Crochet Today". I am going to the PBS convention in early Nov and will get to meet most of the programming managers from across the country....yippeee!! I will let them all know how many crocheters there are who want a tv show and hopefully once they understand how popular it is they will take the show. I'm hoping that by Jan we will have many, many more stations.

Candi

• 2 weeks later...

A new feature has been added to the PBS Station Listing page on the Knit & Crochet Today website.

The form allows us to submit a request to have the program added to our local station, and show how much interest we have in the show. International visitors can also participate.

:cheerThe address is: http://www.knitandcrochettoday.com/pbs.html

Archived