New Guy from Missouri

stillwjo

Welcome to the VILLE! You are going to love it here. I think it is just great when a man crochets. Before I ever learned to crochet I used to watch my late father in law knit blankets and sweaters all the time. Very impressed with your dragon. You're daughter is going to enjoy him for years go come.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like I'm in a very small group of male crocheters. I'm in Bolivar, just north of Springfield. I just taught myself how to crochet in July so I could teach my daughter. She's a chaining fool but I'm trying to teach her some basic crochet stitches. We have 6 ft long chains everywhere.

I started with different kinds of coasters then jumped up to oldbaglady's baby snow dragon. I gave it to my daughter for her birthday monday. She loves stuffed animals so to get one made by her daddy was really cool.

I just finished 2 pairs of baby booties for my brother's baby that's due in October. Before you say anything about how sweet that is, let me say that one pair is Miami Dolphins blue with an orange bow and the other pair is just the oposite. They're really cool. I'm also going to make a matching blanket.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you learned how to crochet so that you could teach your daughter!!! She's lucky to have you for a daddy!!!

I made an Arkansas Razorback Amigurumi (using a pig pattern that was created by one of the many talented posters on this site) for my 5 year old nephew, and he totally loves it. I think the booties and matching blanket are a wonderful idea, and I'm sure Mommy, Daddy and Baby will all love them! :yay

Welcome to just about the friendliest place around. You'll have to get used to responding to "good morning ladies", but other than that, you'll learn a lot here.

It's great to have more males around. I'm retired from the computer industry and this craft was a welcome distraction while I was still working.

The dragon is great - and I know what you mean about all the chains around the house. That's the way it was when I taught my kids to crochet years ago.

Welcome to just about the friendliest place around. You'll have to get used to responding to "good morning ladies", but other than that, you'll learn a lot here.

It's great to have more males around. I'm retired from the computer industry and this craft was a welcome distraction while I was still working.

The dragon is great - and I know what you mean about all the chains around the house. That's the way it was when I taught my kids to crochet years ago.

Good point :lol We must learn to start off saying...Good morning Ladies and Gents. I think it is great that you and other men on the board crochet.

Blondie

My mom sent the picture of the dragon to my siblings. I hadn't told them anything about crocheting yet. My youngest brother teased me a little but put in an order for a pink cat for his 5 year old daughter. My other younger brother, who works for the army in Germany, went off about me coming out of the crochet closet. He'll have to eat his words when he gets the booties and blanket.

I'll see if I can put my works together and get a picture and post it here. I'm kind of pleased with how they turned out. I'm sure there are mistakes that could be picked out but they look pretty good from a distance.

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes. I can't believe my intro post is still in the list of "New Posts".

Do you "guys" have any cool, masculine patterns to share? I guess shouldn't limit the request to you "guys". Does anybody have any "tough" looking stuff? I like dragons, medieval stuff like swords, castles, etc.

thanks

Welcome welcome welcome to the ville! You did a great job on that dragon! I made a big dragon for my hubby! BTW - there is no way he would ever try to learn this skill! My son, on the other hand, has learned to use the knifty knitter looms! :) I can't wait untill he wants to learn to crochet!

Keep up the good work. And I look forward to seeing all of your future projects.

I finally got my daughter to sit down last night long enough to try to crochet! She wanted me to make her another Oreo magnet so I told that instead, I'd show her how to make her own. She managed to get 7 or 8 dc's in a ring before we had to quit. She works even tighter than I did when I started. That really frustrates her. We'll have to try again tonight and see if I can get her to loosen up. If she can master the Oreo which is simply a ring of dc's and a round of sc inc, she should be well on her way....

Any tricks on how to teach someone to stitch loosely?

So glad to find more men are into crochet! My husband learned some crochet as hand therapy for dexterity following a stroke. He found it very helpful for coordination. Now, he's discovered a hidden creative talen and is as addicted to stitching as I am. Welcome to the fold! :)

Do you "guys" have any cool, masculine patterns to share? I guess shouldn't limit the request to you "guys". Does anybody have any "tough" looking stuff? I like dragons, medieval stuff like swords, castles, etc.

thanks

heh heh.... well there's always my amazingly popular "Pringles" brand snack chip cozy. I published the pattern on my blog somewhere, and there's a thread on the topic in here somwhere too. You might find if if you do a search on the word "Pringles".

Actually, I'm not sure anyone made one besides me. The pattern musta been too complicated.

heh heh

( As a crochetier, i'm a much better hook maker. So seriously.. If you want patterns designed with guys in mind, you just have to check out RoseRed's Flannelgan she's amazing... and go see the Dude.. The Crochet Dude, that is.. he's awsome.)

Yay for more boy crocheters:cheer My daughter told "daddy" to crochet with us (she's 2 1/2) and that's the only way he even picked up the hook. He actually asked how to do it, I gave him a quick run down of a stitch to suffice my daughter's request and he was doing chains the rest of the way :laughroll He finally realized that it isn't as easy as I make it look. I always loved the handmade things I got from my father, I"m sure she'll appreciate them a lot more. Keep it up:clap

Courteney

Archived