What I've learned from Crochetville....

1. Never read the posts while drinking or eating...

Some of the ladies here are waaaay too funny, and too many times I've been caught off guard and snorted my food/drink out my nose. Let me tell you - not attractive... nor sanitary.

2. If you need help in your addiction, this is NOT the place...

If you want to work on one project at a time, have a nice neat little pile of yarn and only buy pattern books when you're actually going to make something out of it, you'd best leave now. We are a bunch of friendly people, never too shy to say "It's OK.. go ahead.... start another WIP... buy that beautiful yarn..."

3. 37 New places to hide my yarn...

I had never thought of wrapping it and putting it in the freezer, under couch cushions, in the food pantry, between the mattresses, in unused suitcases, or behind the books in bookshelves. Thanks for those ideas! When my closets become completely full (about another 2 months), I will certainly try some of those out.

4. Always weave in your ends and join your motifs as you go...

There's just no other way to post your pics of your progress in the CALs if it's all a bunch of little pieces with tails sticking out. By the time Photo Friday rolls around, you want your project looking good!

5. If there isn't a CAL for it, start one...

CALs are by far the best part of this place. Just be careful, no one can join just one. Their stated purpose is to get you to FINISH a project, but once you've browsed through them and joined 2 or 3 (or 10) of them, you begin to realize that your chances of finishing are pretty slim!

6. If you hit rock bottom, someone here will help you up.

I've seen it time and again. Personal loss, tragedy, death, illness... sometimes just plain dire straits. All of a sudden, the mailman brings you a box with yarn, pattern books, a comfortghan, just about everything you can imagine. The card inside is always signed "Your Friends at the 'Ville". You can't beat that - people you don't know on the street making you happy.

7. When you thought you knew it all...

I'm a pretty advanced crocheter, but just about every week someone shares something that makes me go "Huh. I didn't know THAT." Last week it was a Nostepinde. I keep thinking I've learned every trick there is, but the members here keep coming up with new ones!

8. You can make feminine hygiene items with crochet.

No. Really, you can. I've seen it.

9. There are other people out there who pet their yarn, too.

I used to think I was the only one who went to the yarn store and pet it. I now know that I am not alone in this habit. So, please - when you see that lady in the yarn aisle "squeezing the Charmin" with that skein of yarn, please make sure you introduce yourself to your fellow 'Viller...

10. Men crochet, too.

Honestly - I didn't know this until I met the guys here. I feel sorry for many of them, because they feel they have to hide their hobby. Could you imagine not being able to take your hook out with you? My hook goes everywhere I do. Hiding my stash is one thing. So, nice to meet you, men - love that you can come here and join us!

11. There are people here who will listen to me ramble.

See... you just did! :lol My husband never listens. Some of you actually find me humorous. I've even made people snort coffee out their noses a few times, myself.

:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11. There are people here who will listen to me ramble.

See... you just did! :lol My husband never listens. Some of you actually find me humorous. I've even made people snort coffee out their noses a few times, myself.

:D

And you almost just made someone snort red wine out her nose! That would NOT have been a pretty sight! :lol

I loved this post, Krystal.

7. When you thought you knew it all...

I'm a pretty advanced crocheter, but just about every week someone shares something that makes me go "Huh. I didn't know THAT." Last week it was a Nostepinde. I keep thinking I've learned every trick there is, but the members here keep coming up with new ones!:D

This is so true. Every time I think I've heard it all (not know it all, but heard it all), I find out something I hadn't heard of.

I love this post. Thank you for making my day! Thank goodness, I was not drinking at this time.

Ramble on anytime....:rofl:laughroll

What a wonderful post! You said it all. One thing I have learned this week is that there are so many wonderful, giving, kind, and selfless people here. God bless you all! This truly is a wonderful ville to be in.

:rofl:haha What a fantastic post. To think when I joined the Ville pretty much all I could do was make a baby hat, now I can do FPDC & BPDC with the best of them. Oh, and I soooo love to pet the yarn when I go to the store. I can't help it, the yarn just cries to be petted as I go past it. It would be yarn neglect if you didn't pet it just a little, and of course, some of the skeins just have to be adopted. :lol

Thanks Krystal! It's true what you said about 'random' people being there for everyone here. The support, especially for non-crochet related things is amazing! Everyone here rocks!

Well, I had my first laugh of the day.:lol You said it perfectly as to what this play is like.

I say here shaking my head :yes gone yep thats true and yeah I agree with that then yep and laughing:rofl

Oh and don't forget all the new things we lean to crochet with and how to recycle things.:think

Thanks for this post.:hook

Archived