bosnian crochet

sallybb

Question

I am about to make a list of resources, right now I have scribbled notes and a bunch of web pages marked. I'll post as soon as I can.

Apparently, it's good for felting, too and useful in free-form.:)

Let me tell you I am not getting much crocheting done (or anything else for that matter)

OMG....just realized what I can do with all that Sirdar Yo-Yo!!!! Am off....am so excited now. :yay

OMG....just realized what I can do with all that Sirdar Yo-Yo!!!! Am off....am so excited now. :yay

I know that feeling:)

have fun, thanks again.

If you get a chance after to look in those books (w. patterns.) pls try to see if any of them uses the slip stitch on larger surfaces. I don't think we'd be breaking any copyright laws w. that.

Here is a little more:

according to bellaonline other terms used for Bosnian crochet include: patning,

gobelin stitch, pjoning, crochet de Bosnie.

I have searched those came away with nothing.

The bellaonline article gives instructions for crocheting in the round.

It can be done as a full slip stitch, Backloop or Front loop slipstitch.

Back and front loop sl.st. gives an entirely different look.

Little by little....

just cked my library, no books about "bosnian crochet"

although, they do have this one:

Knitting in the old way : designs & techniques from ethnic sweaters

Gibson-Roberts, Priscilla A.

the branch that it is in is literally 3 blocks from my house. would you like me to ck it out?

anyone looked into this one:

Encyclopedia of 300 crochet patterns, stitches, and designs 3rd ed.

Smith, Doris M.

Vogue dictionary of crochet stitches

Matthews, Anne.

Hard crochet

Dittrick, Mark. ----huh?

the rest of the books listed sound like basic patterns....

Wow.:cheer Knitting the Old way has a few pages on it. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy.

If you get a chance, that would be fantastic.

I don't know about the other ones.

just cked my library, no books about "bosnian crochet"

although, they do have this one:

Knitting in the old way : designs & techniques from ethnic sweaters

Gibson-Roberts, Priscilla A.

the branch that it is in is literally 3 blocks from my house. would you like me to ck it out?

anyone looked into this one:

Encyclopedia of 300 crochet patterns, stitches, and designs 3rd ed.

Smith, Doris M.

Vogue dictionary of crochet stitches

Matthews, Anne.

Hard crochet

Dittrick, Mark. ----huh?

the rest of the books listed sound like basic patterns....

Hard crochet

Dittrick, Mark. ----huh?

Rebecca...what did it say about Mark Dittrick's Hard Crochet?? I have that book and I don't see anything about Bosnian Crochet in it. :think

Russian Stitch seems to refer to a number of different things: a knit stitch pattern, a crochet stitch pattern, and also Bosnian Crochet.

Shepherd's seems to refer to both... I found some sites that were talking about Tunisian and others that were talking about Bosnian.

I'll keep an eye out for anything in other languages. I wonder if there is more information on sites that aren't in English... I will try to check out some Russian sites, but (heh) my vocabulary doesn't include much crochet terms and I'm not sure they'll have anything anyway.

Thanks. This is really enlightening.

sorry, i was unclear - i just found that to be an odd title.

what kind of book is it? the info page had no info on it - go figure!

It's a hard bound book published in 1978. Description on the front says "An ordinary crochet hook with an easy-to-make handle turns inexpensive yarns and the simplest of crochet stitches into never-before-crochetable objects and fashions with the sturdy stiffness to stand on their own."

There's a lot of history, lengthy instructions, pictures and patterns for making things like big, sturdy pots/baskets, briefcase, and a man's hat (reason I bought the book) that appears to be done in either slip stitch or single crochet but the instructions don't make it clear which is used.

Without compromising copyrights, I'll give a short review of how it reads, you determine:

Crown:

With yarn A, ch-4 and connect the ends of the chain with a slip stitch

Rows 1-3: increase in each st around until there are 24 stitches around.

Row 4: work even

Row 5: Increase in every other stitch - 36 stitches around

And that's how the entire pattern is written. No where does it state whether to use slip stitches or single. The entire hat pattern is written like this. But in the beginning of the book he (Mark Dittrick states he mostly uses Single crochet in his work and dc occassionally. He only uses 4 stitches in book: slip stitch, single crochet, double crochet and half-double crochet.

Hope this helps some. :hook

I did a little hunting of my own...

Found it mentioned here (a pdf article) It says "Bosnian crochet is a very complicated form of crochet that only the most talented are able to do well" and from what I gather they offer some sort of course?\

Also found it mentioned in this blog and she menioned this issue of Spin-Off magazine. Anyone have it?? See, in the projects it mentions spinning for slip stitch crochet.

The Deborah Pulliam mentioned there apparently also taught a workshop that mentioned Bosnain crochet.

Also in Spin-Off, from the Summer 2001 issue, there's an article and pattern...

There seems to be a bit about it in this book - I found it mentioned in this review

This blogger used it in a project and defines it differently, she refernces the author of the Spin off Summer 01 article.

http://crochetparlor.bravepages.com/hats.html

Well, after searching so hard I was taking a break just looking at patterns of all sorts and then ... there it was in front of me. No picture, but I'll take it.

In the excitement I never really got to read the details.:)

It is called SLIP STITCH HAT FOR KIDS, you need to scroll down the page.

The only problem is that in true Bosnian crochet the work is not turned,

this one is.:(

If it is any help at all, although this must be an old discussion, there is a group on Ravelry that is all about Slip Stitch Crochet. it is appropriately called the Slip Stitch Group. I've seen there Bendy Carter and Vasthi Braha, and some ladies who make super gorgeous Bosnian or slip stitch projects! Hope this helps anyone who finds this thread and wants more information!

Thanks for trying.:)

No problem. The books are still worth the $. And if I were to get only one of the 3 I have, I would say get The Crochet Sweater Book as it is the only one that actually has patterns in it. The reason I got them was because of the butterfly & moth shawls on the web site. The Crochet Sweater Book has the pattern for the Butterfly Blues cape and the Silver Moth cape among many other great sweaters, shawls, coats, etc. :manyheart

I have just gone thru 3 of my Sylvia Cosh/James Walters books and none of them mention Bosnian, Shepherd's or Russian crochet at all. :think

My understanding is that Shepherd's knitting refers to Tunisian Crochet, Muslim crochet is used interchangeably w. Bosnian, and I was under the impression that Russian Stitch is something else but I am not sure what.

Russian Stitch seems to refer to a number of different things: a knit stitch pattern, a crochet stitch pattern, and also Bosnian Crochet.

Shepherd's seems to refer to both... I found some sites that were talking about Tunisian and others that were talking about Bosnian.

I'll keep an eye out for anything in other languages. I wonder if there is more information on sites that aren't in English... I will try to check out some Russian sites, but (heh) my vocabulary doesn't include much crochet terms and I'm not sure they'll have anything anyway.

The Crochet Sweater Book at Amazon is going for $12 and change to $31 and change which is an awsome price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0517564785/ref=dp_olp_1//104-0163754-7127152?condition=all

The Crochet Workbook at Amazon is going for $89.99 to $101.48

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0312040326/ref=dp_olp_1//104-0163754-7127152?condition=all

are those books still in print, do you know?

Did you like their work in B. crochet?

I don't all of them are still in print but all are hard to find (like The Crochet Workbook). I got some from Ebay and some from Amazon . I had such a hard time finding them that I emailed James Walters and he wrote back saying 'Good Luck' in finding them. The Crochet Workbook has been known to be on Amazon for approx. $100+ :manyheart

OH! Sylvia Cosh & James Walters!! I have all their books! What they do to freeform is unbelievable. Sylvia's moth & butterfly shawls are to die for. I just love their things. :manyheart

are those books still in print, do you know?

Did you like their work in B. crochet?

Archived