new kid from Wisconsin

downwithapathy

Hi! I'm Sonja from Madison, WI! I *just* started both crocheting and knitting. Crochet seems to be where my enthusiasm lies at present. My first project was a dishcloth in colors that kind of clash. :P Now I'm working on the color-bar blanket from "the Happy Hooker." Making granny squares has become my hands' natural state. :lol

I'm just a shy, 20-something vegan (please no hate--I'm a nice person) girl picking up new hobbies in between unrelated college degrees (I've had a little trouble deciding what I want to do with the rest of my life).

I can't wait to start reading!

Sonja

Hello Downwithapathy!

Nice to read you.

You are very welcome at this forum.

I hope you will find some new friends and spelling your time in a good position.

Sweet Regards

Julia

Hi and welcome, no vegan hater here, in fact given choices, I'd rather have a salad most of the time...But I do love my hot dogs and an occasional good steak. You will find this place fascinating, with lots to do and share..

Hi Sonja!!! I'm from Central Wisconsin!! Have been down there lots and scoped out the yarn stores. I love the store on the westside, I think it is called Stitcher's Crossing? It has quilting, cross stitch and yarn. Nice selection and a great place to just look around.......

Debbie

uwcheese

Greetings Sonja! :waving

:welcome from a fellow newbie in Michigan! I'm glad you've decided to join us! :hug

I hope you enjoy your time here at the 'ville as much as I have. I've been hooking for about five months now. I've learned a ton from all of the wonderful folks here. No one will hate you here, they're a wonderful bunch! :bheart There's always a new pattern to try your hand at or a conversation to join into.

Be careful though! Posting here can be as addicting as finding that next perfect yarn! :P The S&B book is a lot of fun. I'm currently working on the fat bottom bag and hope to get started on the color bar aphgan soon. It'll fit my bedroom decor perfectly :D

I look forward to getting to know you and seeing some of you work in the show-and-tell forums. :) Happy Hookin'! :hook

More BIG thanks for the fabulous welcome. :manyheart

Uwcheese: I just moved here in January. I've been to the Knitting Tree and Lakeside Fibers. I keep meaning to get to Stitcher's Crossing, but I rely on the bus system, and it's a little out of my way.

Being vegan and a newbie, I've found the craft stores serve my needs as well as anywhere. I've gotten most of my stuff at the Wisconsin Craft Market but have browsed Joann, Michael's, and Hancock Fabrics for fun. I feel like such a nerd. I literally just started and can't stop going to these places. I spend more time thinking about crocheting than actually crocheting. :2blush I've finished about half of my granny squares now. I'm crossing my fingers that this thing won't be hideous. :P

By the way, truckin Patty, I'm originally from Tell City, IN (between Evansville and Louisville). I went to college in Bloomington and then moved here from there. :)

Oh. And here's my ugly dishcloth! It's misshapen and clashy, but it was my first. I think I should have used a smaller hook, but I didn't yet have the goods when I made this.

Picture019.jpgPicture018.jpg

Get used to bad photography from me. I have no talent and horrible lighting. :D Watch me improve!

OK, maybe the 3rd time’s the charm. Twice I’ve done this Welcome message to you and, although I thought I was logged in, evidently I wasn’t. This time I got smart and I’m typing it in another program first so if I lose it, I can paste it back in.

I’m also from the Madison area (actually, McFarland—a Madison suburb). Another place I think you’d really like is Hobby Lobby. It’s on the East Beltline in the same strip mall as Shopko and Kohls. It’s a huge craft store and loaded with pre-made home accents.

I’m 53 and I’ve been crocheting on and off for 30 years. Although my profession is technical in nature (computers, networking, etc.) I have many interests; I love to cook, I *try* to garden and I have 3 magnificent grown kids and 2 doggies. Oh, and BTW, I’m also a video game junkie. :eek

Books and forums are very good resources, but sometimes you just need a little one-on-one instruction. If you find yourself (literally) in a bind, email me at libits2002@hotmail.com and maybe we can meet if you need some help.

Welcome aboard!

OK, maybe the 3rd time’s the charm. Twice I’ve done this Welcome message to you and, although I thought I was logged in, evidently I wasn’t. This time I got smart and I’m typing it in another program first so if I lose it, I can paste it back in.

I’m also from the Madison area (actually, McFarland—a Madison suburb). Another place I think you’d really like is Hobby Lobby. It’s on the East Beltline in the same strip mall as Shopko and Kohls. It’s a huge craft store and loaded with pre-made home accents.

I’m 53 and I’ve been crocheting on and off for 30 years. Although my profession is technical in nature (computers, networking, etc.) I have many interests; I love to cook, I *try* to garden and I have 3 magnificent grown kids and 2 doggies. Oh, and BTW, I’m also a video game junkie. :eek

Books and forums are very good resources, but sometimes you just need a little one-on-one instruction. If you find yourself (literally) in a bind, email me at libits2002@hotmail.com and maybe we can meet if you need some help.

Welcome aboard!

Awww... I'm glad you were finally able to reply! I've been in Hobby Lobby stores in Indiana, but never ever to look for crochet and knitting goods! I actually looked up Wisconsin stores, saw "Monona" and panicked. Now I see it is accessible by bus. Fabulous! Thanks. :)

I also try to garden. :yes This year was my first attempt. I managed to grow some greens, but I consider it mostly a failure. I need more sunlight!

Thanks so much again (everyone)! I'll be sure to get in touch if I need a little help. :D ...and I really miss living with dogs. ...as soon as I'm settled in life... :manyheart

Archived