Pencil Toppers, Pencil Neck Geeks

crochetsal

I came up with this a couple of years ago and it's been on my site, but I thought I would share it here as well. My husband was the one who named them, btw. Sometimes, he can be helpful...think I'll keep him! :devil

These were a hit at my daughter's birthday party, I put them on pencils and threw one in each 'goodie bag'.

The usual copyright, with added: if you would like to make a few to sell at a craft fair, you are more than welcome, as long as the pattern is not included, and as long as you're not mass producing. I do sometimes sell my finished items online, so please, no online selling without first contacting me. Thank you, and I hope you ejoy the pattern!

Pencil Neck Geeks

Sally Ives/September 2005

pencilneckgeeks.jpg

Materials:

steel crochet hook size 1.5mm

crochet thread small amount size 10 bedspread weight

small amount eyelash yarn

two E-beads (or use tiny ‘google' eyes)

Notes: Rnds are joined. Start rounds of sc with ch1, does NOT count as first st. Sc in same st to begin.

To dec: draw up loop in each of next 2 sts, yo, draw through all 3 loops.

To start:

ch4, sl st in first ch to form ring.

Rnd 1: Ch2, 11hdc in ring. Join to 2nd ch of ch2. (12 hdc)

Rnd 2: In blps only, sc around.

Rnd 3-6: Sc around.

Rnd 7: *ch9. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each remaining ch (8 sc). Sc in next 5 sts of rnd 6. Sl st in next st. Repeat from * once more. Join to bottom of ch 9. (10 sc + 2 arms)

Rnd 8: Ch1, working behind arms which will not be worked into, 2sc in each of the 10 sc. (20)

Rnd 9-11: Sc around.

Rnd 12: Dec around. (10)

Rnd 13&14: Sc around, FO.

Hair: With eyelash yarn, join in free loop of rnd 1 with sc. (Ch1, sc in next st) around. Ch1, join to first sc.

If you don't have eyelash yarn, don't worry! Simply make a fringe around the free loops: cut 20 5" pieces of contrasting size 10 crochet thread. Holding two pieces together, fold in half. Insert hook through a free loop of rnd 1, catch fold of yarn and pull partway through. YO with tails, pull through loop and pull snugly. Repeat for other unworked loops. When finished, trim hair as desired.

For eyes: Sew e-beads on face as desired, OR glue tiny google eyes.

Archived