? about yarn totes

i have a question that might sound stupid so please bear with me. i was reading some of the lastest wish lists and some would like yarn totes. what would a yarn tote look like? is there a pattern that i could go by? i get bored and sew sometimes. like i don't have enough to do. i hope i have made sense. thanks for the help ladies.

That's it Donna!!

Honeebee, it could be any type of bag. Right now, I'm using a large beach-type bag, just because I like the size, and it's colorful. You might choose yours because of the number of pockets to store things in......

Does that help?

thanks ladies. can it be just a rectangle with handles? does it need to have pockets? i thought it would be nice to make one or two for someones wish list.helps to keep the sewing machine from rusting too from lack of use.

A yarn tote can be anything you can use to carry yarn in. :)

A pocket (or two) may come in handy in/on a tote to give a place to store keys, scissors, extra hooks, etc. which would keep those kind of things from getting tangled in the yarn and keep them easier to find when needed.

I think Tampa Doll has used a diaper/tote bag pattern from Lily that she adapted to make some of the Crochetville totes that she makes/has made.

There's also a CAL going on now here at Crochetville for the Eight-Pocket Two-Tone Carryall Tote from Lion's free patterns that was designed by Margaret Hubert and the pattern is from her book, Hooked Bags. It should/would make a great yarn tote, too. I bought the book and love it.

ThUD for all of the above links!

HTH!

If you have any craft stores near you, you could check there. I was browsing through Micheals last night and saw some nice craft totes (some too expensive) and some of those could work for yarn. There were specific for yarn. Some were in nylon but they could be done in fabric and would be lighter too (great for summer). One of my favorites was a clear one that was the size of a skien of yarn and had an opening to pull it out.

That area in a craft store might give you some ideas too.

Debbi

Does anyone use the plastic containers to hold their yarn? I was browsing through our local JoAnn's yesterday and saw a couple different sizes of them. :hook

pockets are not always necessary. but they do come in handy. i usually try and keep all my yarn, scissors, needle and hook for a project together. that way i don't forget what hook size i use and i can weave in ends wherever i am.

Does anyone use the plastic containers to hold their yarn? I was browsing through our local JoAnn's yesterday and saw a couple different sizes of them. :hook

I love those but thought they were too expensive because at the time I could only find small ones. So I bought a couple of $2.99 plastic storage jars/canisters and drilled a hole in the lid! They keep my yarn relatively free of dog hair and it feeds well through the hole.

thank you all.

i might just make up a few totes to see how i like them. i'll post a pic when i'm done. i am going to make my lil dog a new harness and i'll work up something nice.

I think the pockets depend on the person. I wouldn't want one without pockets. But you could add a separate, matching something to hold hooks, stitchmarkers, etc. I think form most people it doesn't matter if it closes, but I have young kids that get into things. A simple zipper/button closure is enough to keep my 1 1/2 year old from stealing things out of my bag. Which is why I use an old backpack now that my days of school are over.

Archived