Do you tie knots?

Do you tie knots?  

578 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tie knots?

• Yes
    • No

I never tie knots. When I was learning to crochet I was having some trouble with a few things so I talked to my husbands grandmother and one of the things that she told me was that instead of using knots use a longer tail and work it into the project by going in straight for a few stitches then go up or down and then go back towards the edge, making like a backwards C. I have never had a problem with anything coming unraveled using this method. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't tie knots and I'm fairly certain my mother did not either, as she made a large number of multi-colored, scrap items, like striped afghans, and I never noticed them in her work.

well I just found out I tend to use the russian method of loining ( now I know what its called) but there are sometimes like on a bulky item that I crochet two stitched using double strands ( one old and one new) then crochet over the tails. ( taaught myself so don't know what to call things sometimes lol) for doilys no knots just weave in the tails.

Scenna

I never tie knots. I am afraid that the knot will come undone. I change colors by working the new color into the last stitch of the old color, then I leave about 6 inches and crochet over the ends.

;)

That's what I do. It never comes undone if you weave in the ends properly and you work looks "cleaner."

It depends on what I'm making but I usually don't when crocheting. Or if/when I do, I try to make the knot so I can untie it later and retie it better/smoother before working the ends into the item so there is no lumpy knot found/felt in the work.

If you haven't already tried it, you might want to try the Russian joining method:

http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/happyghan/russian.html

HTH!

Thanks so much Cinnamon! I've never heard of this type of joining but it looks great! I'm excited to try it out.

I tie knots, but I also leave long tails and crochet or weave them in. So I guess I'm doubly secure.

I knot. The book that taught me gave both ways of doing it and it said "the most experienced crocheter will tell you never to knot" haha. But I do. When I was learning it was too difficult to understand how not to. The way I do it though the knots are never seen, and too tiny to feel. I just do a tight square knot right under the hook and then weave the ends later. Though I just discovered crocheting over ends so that tedious weaving doesn't have to be done.

Nah, I don't tie knots, because I worry about those unraveling. I will leave a LONG tail though (about 8" or so) to weave in, because I've just heard to many times of pieces unraveling with those slip knots. Plus, I can never get those to lie flat, or look just right, so I don't. :)

Victoria

I really try not to use knots since that is one thing judges look for when evaluating in competition. BUT every once in awhile you come across a color change in a pattern where I feel like there isn't enough tension around the tails to keep the ends from popping out and then I might use a tiny knot and then work it into the stitches. It also depends on the piece I'm working on. If it's just going to be a blanket that's going to get lots of love and use and be washed alot, then I'm less picky about knots. I still try to work them in and cover them over as best I can, but I don't worry as much about them being seen. My grandmother who taught me to crochet never really learned to crochet without knots and I don't mind a bit the ones I can see and feel in the blankets she left me.

When I make something that will hold a lot of weight--like a bag for grocery shopping or something, then I tie knots. I just don't trust anything else, really, to hold enough weight.

Anything else, I would probably just either weave in or leave tails and stitch over them.

• 2 weeks later...

I tie sort of a half knot - I wrap the yarns around each other... sort of like you do when you start to tie your shoes before you make a loop/bow - and then weave them in. I usually weave in two directions for each strand so it's less likely to pop out. It's a pain to weave, but I feel it's worth it not to have the ends popping out after use or washing. Real knots always seem to show on my work!

• 1 month later...

I tie knots. I don't like to though. I've been dragging the net as of late searching for reasonable alternatives in hopes of finding a solution that puts my raveling worries to rest.

T-

I never tie knots. I am afraid that the knot will come undone. I change colors by working the new color into the last stitch of the old color, then I leave about 6 inches and crochet over the ends.

;)

The only thing is if I'm doing a large stich with a large hook is that they come out easily because the stitch is so loose. For SC that might work a little. Then I'd have to weave back through. I found if I don't want to tie a knot (very rarely) I'll wave through, wrap it around a stitch (just one thread of the stitch), weave it through some more. This gives it some security. This helps too if I'm just going under or in the middle of stitches.

Debbi

I tie knots, Thats how I learned, I have not learned how to do it with out tying knots.I have washed items I have tied knots in, and so far they havent come apart.If I can figure how without tying, then maybe I will do both and see which one is better.

Kim

I never put knots in any of my work.. I always weave my ends in.. back and forth 3 or 4 times.. I don't like the look of the work when there are knots in a piece. I have never had any problems with my work coming undone.

I always tie knots in both crochet and knitting. I am so paranoid that my work will unravel. I've never had any trouble of the knots showing, but most of my projects are only one sided, like clothing or stuffed animals.

..... In fact, one of my pet peeves is finding knots in the middle of skeins.

That is exactly why I decided to start tying knots. I figured if they can do so at the warehouse, so can I, for the peace of mind it brings me and the less time spent weaving in those rascally tails:clap. It is "funny" how more people do tie them than don't, based on this poll, when everywhere you read that you are never ever to tie knots (or use wire hangers according to Joan Crawford...:eek).

• 1 year later...

I leave at least 3 inches, then I weave the end in locking the yarn through the stitches.

Here are my Youtube videos on taking care of the tails:

Hiding tails as you go on a Granny square:

Taking care of the tails:

Archived