578 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tie knots?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

usually only when finishing off. but that is just in the extra chain stitch

i figured out my own way of changing colors or adding yarn that doesn't require knot tying so that works for me

It would depend on the project. Generally no, but if i crochet a pair of multicolored house slippers for my daughter that I know are going to be washed often, and suffer unfathomable abuses, I will. Usually if you leave a long enough tail and crochet right over it, there's no problem with stability. If you need more detailed instruction, feel free to message me.

I need the choice for "sometimes" (I chose "yes" instead). It depends on the project. If it is going to get a lot of vigorous use (i.e. dish cloth, scrubbie) I will tie knots if they won't show or be too obvious. If it is only going to get light to moderate use (i.e. sweater, afghan) I won't tie knots.

Sara

I tie my crochet work...I try to only do that on the edges, but there've been times when I just knotted the knots in the middle of the work. The way I tie them tho, I can never find them later.

<snip>]

Same here. Almost always, I can't find them, later.

~Kimber

Bad habit I suppose, but I do knot doing either crocheting or knitting.

But I do it, in a corner or area where I don't think it will show that much.

On a start row, not in the middle of the work.

I do one small knot, tighten it, leave tails and work them in.

If I ever do a project for a show though, I won't knot. Thanks for that tip btw :)

I never would have guessed that so many people knot their crochet ends! Before I learned to crochet I cross stitched a lot. At first I would knot everything, but as I got better I learned to tuck the ends in. When I learned to crochet it made sense to weave in ends like in embroidery.

I guess knots are okay if you leave long ends to weave in. If you don't leave long ends all that crochet work is going to unravel and it's hard to fix. Also, I've heard that chemo caps and baby stuff shouldn't be knotted because the little bump can irritate the skin.

I don't always tie knots, but I do most of the time. I've never had a problem with a knot showing either. And I always leave ends to work over or in because I've had some of my early things try unraveling because I cut too close to the knot...

After seeing this post for a while, I realize why I tie knots, I crochet loose:crocheting. My ends wouldn't stay in because there isn't much to hold them in. Even weaving back and forth. If I use a small hook and tight stitches, then maybe, but I don't do that a lot. I crochet faster when I crochet loose, so that's probably one reason I crochet so lose.

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

i used to tie knots but that was only cuz i didn't know how to change colors without tying them. after i learned (lotsa pictures!) there's no way i'm ever going back to it. i always hated the little bally parts where you could so tell there was a knot in the work..

Sometimes I do both. First a knot and then fasten properly.

I do this mainly for things that are going to be sold or given away, not really trusting either way to be enough by itself.

I make pretty sure that it doesn't show.

I never tie knots. I am afraid that the knot will come undone. I change colors by working the new color into the last stitch of the old color, then I leave about 6 inches and crochet over the ends.

I use wool for garments and the great thing about wool is that you can "spit splice" the ends. Take the two ends about 5 inches worth and put a little water or spit in your palm, then roll the two ends together vigorously and the ends will "felt" together and you have no need to knot or weave.

If only you could do this with acrylic. ;)

I tie a know if using the same color. When changing colors, I do not tie. When the item is finished, I take both ends end knot very tightly then weave the ends into the work. I also knot around two or three stitches when weaving. For each end of the yarn, I weave through a few stitches then knot, weave some, then knot, weave the last - then go in the opposite direction with the other end. Confusing :think

Archived