Do you tie knots?  

578 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tie knots?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love to weave my ends as I crochet, especially with dc. It is as strong as the stitches, since it's crocheted in there. I just carry the end with the crochet. I also like weaving them at the sides of a piece if possible. The main reason I was so happy to find a new way to secure the ends is because a 20+ yr old afghan I made got a gaping hole in it because a 20+ yr old knot broke open. It didn't come undone, just age I think, broke the little knot & it was awful trying to fix. I couldn't even get a matching color yarn to repair it.

I rarely tie knots... On a recent project, I have to make tie knots as it is ribbon yarns that are slippery. And it do the open mesh which make me tie long ends then tug knots into the stitches. The ends are a challenge to weave in. As they want to get some attention as they pop out at the edges. :D

I tie knots and leave a 4" tail and weave it in. I also worry about the work coming undone if I didn't tie knots. I always place the knots in a place where they will be crochet over or in the middle of a stitch so they aren't seen.

it leaves a gap. I crochet rather tightly, but I don't know that I want to change that because I have very even stitches.

Knotting is getting VERY appealing me these days!

No. I don't tie knots in crochet. I always have a problem with them showing. I attach my yarn/thread in the middle of a stitch and then I weave in the ends really well for about 2 or 3 inches going back and forth. I have never had a problem with ends coming out and I have washed them many times. Most of my crocheted items I wash by hand though (since I make a lot of clothing items) My dishcloths never come unraveled either. (and I DO wash those)

• 2 weeks later...

Iam a knotter and proud of it :) I made a afghan once and did not tie knots just weaved and worked them in well when I went to wash it you guessed it it came apart so know Iam a knotter and proud of it :yes

I'm totally shocked at how many people tie knots! I've always always read that you should never tie knots in crochet, and I believe it. If it works for some of you, well, whatever works, I guess... I'm surprised that Debbie Stoller advocates knot-tying in her book, but I don't think she's really a crocheter.

I weave in or work over long ends, and have never had a problem with it coming out. I think some people leave their ends too short. Woven/worked ends are soft, flexible, and elastic... I think they're the way to go! but hey, I only police my OWN crochet.

I don't tie "knots," per se, but I do tie them like the first step of tying your shoe. Just enough to twist them together to keep them in line until it's time to sew in my ends.

I have been crocheting for 30 years:eek and have never tied a knot:no My Grandchildren beat the heck out of the stuff I have done for them and they have been washed many times. Not one unravel:hook I leave very long tails and weave up and down, back and forth etc. Weaving in has become a game to me!:P So far I'm winning!:yay

One thing that I do (that is not recommended:2nono ) is add a new skein in the middle of projects:devil So far it has not been a problem:yarn :xfin

It depends on what I'm making but I usually don't when crocheting. Or if/when I do, I try to make the knot so I can untie it later and retie it better/smoother before working the ends into the item so there is no lumpy knot found/felt in the work.

If you haven't already tried it, you might want to try the Russian joining method:

http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/happyghan/russian.html

HTH!

Thanks for posting that link. Like a lot of other people I always knot because I worry about unraveling. Most of the time I can't find the knot but sometimes, especially when doing small motiff's with constant color changes knots can become visible. This method would take care of that!

Thanks again!

Jen :hook

• 1 month later...

I never tie knots, I weave in long ends, even when doing color changes. It was drilled into me that tieing knots degrades the integrity of the yarn and is more likely to unravel, if the knot comes out that you don't have that long end weaved in there is no leeway, and everything comes apart.

Apparently, i'm wrong because so many do tie knots. But knots are just something i cannot do.

I tie square knots all the time and weave in the long ends as well. Most of my 'ghans are put through a lot so I don't want to take a chance.

DH has an old granny square lapghan that has little ties at every color change but they were cut off and not woven in, so they are all very visible but not coming apart........yet.

I have when I had to...like for Q hook projects. They are too lose to hold in woven in ends. In the future I think I'd weave them in and sew down the very end.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it depends on what your project is. Most of the time, I don't tie knots. If I'm making squares, I usually end off the previous color and weave in the end. Then I attach the new color leaving a big tail, and sort of twist this tail in and around my work, and somehow work the tail in so it is not visible. I wish I could explain this better, but the way I do it, there is no way that the yarn could get undone.

Archived