Do you tie knots?  

578 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tie knots?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, this is going to sound odd, but . . . . If I am making something for kids or a guy, i.e., blankets, afghans toys, etc., I knot it. If I am making something delicate or for a woman or girl, I don't. Kids are so hard on stuff and a friend of ours (guy) that I made an afghan for is so hard on that afghan that he keeps brining it back and saying, "its unraveling". Also, if it is a space that I am going to crochet over later, say the end of a row that I am going to border around, I may knot it because you won't see it anyway. If it is something delicate that you can easily see, I don't knot, but I leave a lllllooooonnnnggggg tail and weave, weave, weave, those ends in. :lol

Tie Knots? Yes, especially with the new yarns that you can throw in the washer and dryer. I didn't when I first learned, but back then yarn was wool, or lacey doilies that were hand washed. The first time I attempted machine washing, I had a mess. So it is knots for me.

I came across a very good reason for not doing so. I've been clearing out a house -- actually two of them -- since getting married in February to a widower. I collected a lot of afghans to donate to charity.

There were older afghans with knots. The knots somehow work their way to the surface of the crochet after years of tugging and washing. These were standard granny squares, but the knots were just so visible.

I used to tie knots when I was a beginner & was afraid a project would fall apart. Over the years I realized the knots showed up or could be felt or knots actually came undone (because they were near the surface, they created a hole). It wasn't until I got on the net, that I learned to leave 4-6 inch ends & weave them very well. I love having ends concealed & they are very secure. No more knots here!

Sometimes and with ticker tape I sew the ends together with tiny stitches. I have weaved in but some of my projects are in acrylic and even weaving does not always stay a piece pops out now and then. I have a granny square pillow that my mini-border collie snagged and broke the yarn short so to fix it I knotted it. No biggie the pillow is on my bed.

I used to tie knots when I was a beginner & was afraid a project would fall apart. Over the years I realized the knots showed up or could be felt or knots actually came undone (because they were near the surface, they created a hole). It wasn't until I got on the net, that I learned to leave 4-6 inch ends & weave them very well. I love having ends concealed & they are very secure. No more knots here!

Ditto! I do one more thing as well... I make sure that my ends are at the end of a row. It makes it easy to weave them in as part of the edging.:hook

I've been known to do it with knots, and without. Looked at the links for Russian Joining, but since the project I'm working on is chenille, I kinda figured it wouldn't split into plies. So, what I did was to overlap the yarn for about 6 inches, making a couple of stitches twice as thick, but hopefully they will be hidden with the next row.

I don't know if that's a legitimate way of joining, but it seemed prudent here.

Absolutely I tie knots, but after the project is finished. I know this seems to be the tedious way, but usually the joins have to be tightened up a little bit, then knotted. I weave the tails in 2 different directions. If you weave them tog, of course you get a more noticeable area there. By the time I'm done, you never see those suckers again!

Real Deal

Okay, I sometimes tie knots. In any composit yarn you can pull off the fluff and tie the threads together and you have a seamless join. Sometimes I will tie knots for the effect in the pattern. Otherwise I will do a carry along join (made up the termonology myself, since I don't know what it is really called;) ). I hold the old and new yarns togther and crochet the next few with a double yarn. Just thought I would share:) .

You can join chinelle by stripping the fluff off with dull scizzors and then tying the thread ends that are left together. Cut off most of the remaining thread and rub over the seam with your fingers. You will never see the join. Hope this helps.

Archived