Do you tie knots?  

578 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tie knots?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tie knots sometimes, it depends on what I am making and whether I think the knot will stay hidden. If I do tie it I leave long ends so they can be worked in helping to hide the connect. It does help to stop the unravel factor.

It depends on what it is and whether the knot can be successfully hidden. With crocheting, it usually can. Either way, I leave long ends to weave in later -- I learned the hard way what happens when you don't <g>.

I used to tie knots, but I had one blanket where my knots didn't stay - it was really thick yarn. Now I always make sure that I weave the ends in good. All my crochet friends think I'm crazy for leaving 3 - 4 inches on the end so I know I have enough to weave in easily.

The only time I tie knots is if I'm making something like a dishcloth. No matter how carefully I try to knot it ends up screwing up the gauge/tension right at that point ... so I do what my Nana taught me and hook the ends in

For me it depends on the project. I like granny squares and Half Granny squares. Being a 3 row fan I have 6 joins in chains, on those I do knot. I then go in and weave too. For full size afghans I weave and knot at the end of rows not in the middle.

Laura

especially in the middle if i run out of thread. i do tie after changing colors. the square knot seems to work for me. it seems to flatten out and lines up the threads to be woven in. i'm terrified that i'll give someone something and it will come undone!

I used to. I thought that was how it was supposed to be done. Then I saw somewhere on Crochetville that you weren't supposed to! :eek So I tried making a blanket just weaving in the ends. It has been washed two or three times and no unraveling here! :) So now I just weave in the ends.

I tied a knot once and it left a hard lump--kind of an unpleasant texture; the people I give things to probably wouldn't ever notice it, but I could, and I didn't like it, so I just weave ends in. I've never had anything come unravelled; I made a blanket out of homespun for my brother-in-law and was kind of worried about unravelling if they used it a lot. They do use it a lot and wash it, and it is still just fine.

Just a note, if you enter items into a fair or other competition, they dock your score for knots. It is a no-no.

Oooooh, and don't the judges LOVE to find a knot in an item!!! It doesn't matter how well the rest of the item has been crocheted, every judge I've stewarded for will never consider an item with a knot.

I don't use knots, preferring to sew a long end into the completed fabric after I have finished the item. Will have a try of the Russian joining method soon!!

I am having a go at the Cathedral Window afghan, and sewing in the ends is driving me crazy! I decided not to carry the colours across, and am cutting off at the end of each colour section in a row! Looks like a very untidy spider at the moment!!!

Jenny

I will tie a knot and weave the ends in for a couple stitches just to be safe. If I can I will just work over color changes for a few inches to secure them.

I do the same, I just get scared that it'll fall apart in the wash if I don't.

I do because for some reason I worry about the thing unravelling. To me, it's better to be safe than sorry.

That's how I feel too. I wouldn't want all the work I did to unravel the first time I wash it. And I also weave in the ends pretty good, doing some back stitches. Plus, that's what Grandma O. did, so I just followed her.:)

:manyheart

I never tie knots in my crochet - nothing has unravelled yet. I'm very thorough, though, about weaving in the ends. I attended a crochet class once in which the instructor said that the way to keep ends from unravelling was to weave them into the work in a way that would generate friction - i.e. to double back.

It seems to work!

Oooooh, and don't the judges LOVE to find a knot in an item!!! It doesn't matter how well the rest of the item has been crocheted, every judge I've stewarded for will never consider an item with a knot.

I don't use knots, preferring to sew a long end into the completed fabric after I have finished the item. Will have a try of the Russian joining method soon!!

I am having a go at the Cathedral Window afghan, and sewing in the ends is driving me crazy! I decided not to carry the colours across, and am cutting off at the end of each colour section in a row! Looks like a very untidy spider at the moment!!!

Jenny

What's the Russian joining method?:think

Ever get a skein with knots in it? I have. That is why I tie knots. As some people wrote, you can tie a "temporary" knot, then go back, untie it, and weave. I haven't had any trouble with knots.

I know with crochet you're technically not supposed to but I worry about things coming loose and I hate weaving in ends so I usually tie a knot and just weave in a short piece.

Archived