Do you tie knots?

Do you tie knots?  

578 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tie knots?

• Yes
    • No

I was just wondering how many of you tie knots. For example, Like when starting a new skein or changing colors.

I just got the new Vanna book and in the back it says "do not tie knots in your work" But I was talking to an older lady at my LYS and she said it's best to tie knots. So I was just wondering what you guys think :hook

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to when I was fist learning crochet, but quit. I don't remember why though. I haven't washed anything that I haven't tied knots in yet, so I don't know how well they will hold up.

I tie my crochet work...I try to only do that on the edges, but there've been times when I just knotted the knots in the middle of the work. The way I tie them tho, I can never find them later.

Now, with the knitting, I dont tie knots. I change the yarn or the colors on the edges, and I make a slip knot that I use to attach the old yarn to the new yarn. (I'm horrible at explaining that stuff)

Sometimes when changing colors at the end of the row, I tie a knot because working the next row will pull the stitch with the color change apart. Other than that, I usually just work the ends in.

I tie knots for the same reason everyone else says. I don't want the item to unravel. My mom taught me how to crochet and she tied knots, she learned from her mother who tied knots. I guess we are a knotty family.:hook

I tie a half knot and weave in the ends, that is the way I found to be the best for me. Since I taught myself to crochet and knit it works with both, and I have a little piece of mind.

It depends on what I'm making but I usually don't when crocheting. Or if/when I do, I try to make the knot so I can untie it later and retie it better/smoother before working the ends into the item so there is no lumpy knot found/felt in the work.

If you haven't already tried it, you might want to try the Russian joining method:

http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/happyghan/russian.html

HTH!

I tie knots but at the ends of rows before I tie my ends in

This is what I do as well. I don't tie them as I change colors, I do it right before I weave my ends in.

Elle

It depends on what I'm making but I usually don't when crocheting. Or if/when I do, I try to make the knot so I can untie it later and retie it better/smoother before working the ends into the item so there is no lumpy knot found/felt in the work.

If you haven't already tried it, you might want to try the Russian joining method:

http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/happyghan/russian.html

HTH!

Thanks for the links, I'll have to try that sometime :yes

I tie knots when using the same color, other wise I join normally or finish off if it's a round and start fresh

no, if i worry about unraveling, i just put a dot of glue on the end and make sure to weave between the fibers.

i voted yes but i do both. depends on my mood and where i am in the project. changing colors i do not tie knots. but if i run out of one skein i tie it to the next skein and hide the knot in my work

I tie knots. I found that my work does come apart easily if I don't. So I'll weave in the end a bit, tie a knot, weave in more. I do it so tight and it ends up under the work, that I can neer find it or even get it undone, which is one problem, but I'd rather have that! LOL

Debbi

No I don't tie knots, even changing colors. When my Mom taught me how to knit, she never let me tie knots, as she always said it left a lump in what you were doing.

I brought this over to crocheting, when I took it up.:hook

I'm just re-learning crochet (it's years and years since I did any) using The Happy Hooker book. So I'm following what Debbie Stoller says -drop the old yarn and pick up the new to make the last bit of a stitch (i.e. when you've the last 2 loops on the hook), make a few more stitches then go back and make a square knot with the tails of the old and new yarn. Weave in the ends later. If it's good enough for Debbie, it will do me fine :yes

But agree no knots in kniitting, Tampa Doll - a cardinal sin :eek:devil

Archived