newbie to dyeing/fulling question

mc_crochets

ok...I get that if you wash the koolaid dyed yarn in hot water the yarn will fade...but if you full/felt it first, then can you koolaid dye it?? :think A friend gave me 2 skiens of Filatura Lanarota Chaco WW wool and it is 100% virgin wool...this is the right type for kool aid dying and such right?? :think

from my experience.. its not going to fade THAT much in the process.. the little bag i did the other night.. i dyed then fulled.. you can full it first.. but then you wouldnt get the variation you would if you did it as yarn.. you would have to dye it maybe in stripes or splotches.. there wouldnt be the randomness to it..

Agreed completely with Elizabeth! I almost always dye with KA before fulling.

Since no more color comes out of my yarn when I'm done dyeing it, the dye is set and it never fades/bleeds noticably during the fulling process. It does blend a little to the stitches around it which sometimes causes it to look a slightly different shade, but the dye doesn't fade at that point (over time it does slightly fade, but so does just about everything).

The look when you dye a piece after fulling is completely different. I wish I could find an example somewhere...

Thanks you guys!! I only have 2 skiens of this yarn and I wanted to try BOTH things, so you have saved me lots of decision power.....now to find a cute felted bag pattern (free of course..thats what the internet is for :lol ) that only needs about 400 yards of yarn :think:lol

Archived