Best Yarn For Rugs???

hookdonU

I've used RH WW yarn. Just because it's readily available, I like it and it was in my statsh! I did 2 rugs this way. One with almost all verigated and 3 strands (looked great) and another with 2 strands, one verigated and one solid. That one looked great too.

I used them in the bathroom as we need one we can just toss in the washer and dryer easily.

I didn't line the bottom, tried, but it was a mess. And we're pretty careful in the bathroom with the slick floor. So no problems. We're all adult.

Debbi

Fabric is best~~ I've done a few rugs,, been a while tho. I am not making them right now because I'm making baby blankets till I get these 3 causght up then its back to doilies.

I make hot pads. out of fabric..let me know if you want pictures.

MaryPat, those rugs are great! What size hook did you use with 6 strands? I've never used more than 3 strands yet. lol

I used a Skacel size Q. I have a larger size S but I don't like it as well.

Fabric is best~~ I've done a few rugs,, been a while tho. I am not making them right now because I'm making baby blankets till I get these 3 causght up then its back to doilies.

I make hot pads. out of fabric..let me know if you want pictures.

I like fabric as well. Just don't like creating the fabric strips.

Do they still make Aunt Lydia's rug yarn? I would recommend that if they still make it. Did I just show my age?? :eek

Odd. I just saw something that they're finally discontinuing it or calling it something else. I liked its extra roughness.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used Lion Cotton with a size 10.5/K hook, double strand to make a tweed effect in plain sc and it was really nice. I don't like plain cotton for clothing, but for wear and tear kitchen rugs, I think this is great. It gets a little heavy as the piece grows, but the finished product is worth it. Washes/wears well and is heavy enough to stay put. Acrylic is a little light for a rug for my taste.

Best yarn for rugs? Rug yarn of course.

Thank goodness someone else has heard of rug yarn. Yes, it's still around. I just bought a mountain of it at a dollar store in peach to make a bathroom rug to match the shower curtain.

Use 2 strands of rug yarn and a large wooden hook. The rug will hold up forever. If you want it a little poofier and softer, use 1 strand of rug yarn and 1 strand of ww. It will hold up a long time, but straight rug yarn will hold up longer.

Real Deal

I saw some rug yarn at Hobby lobby the other day, only they aren't very large skeins and I didn't check the price, so I don't know how much it costs for what size rug. I have also seen prepackaged rug making kits ( from fabric) there too. they have strips already cut for use. :yes

2 Christmases ago I made my Mom 2 rugs our of 3 strands of Acrylic Worsted Weight. I was a little worried about how they would hold up, but I liked the color options. I think there was some Caron pounder yarn and some red heart super saver yarn in those 3 strands. I made them with a Q hook. She loves them and they have held up much better than I expected in her high traffic house. They wash up really well, just a trip through the laundry, no fuss. I was just looking at them when I was home last to see how they were doing, no problems yet. I used a pattern book that I got at Joanne's--it was great for shape ideas. I think it was a Leisure Arts book.

One word of caution--they must go on those no slip pads as they are really slick.

I have since completed her a rag rug--for the cost of the fabric (even at $1-2 a yard) and the aggrivation I would rather make her new rugs every few years out of WW acrylic yarn than to ever do another rag rug...Maybe it would not have been bad if I had done it with thinner stripes. As it was my right arm got a pretty good workout pulling the stiches through.

The best investment I made during my rag rug making days was a quilt cutter to cut the stripes with. That part was pretty slick.

I've made round ripple rugs out of ww yarn. I used 2 strands of Hobby Lobby's 'I Love This Yarn' and a size J hook. It looks brand new, and it has been on the floor for a few months now. It is in the highest traffic area.....right inside the front door. My DD has 2 of them in her room, and I am working on a HUGE one for her room.

Thought I'd add a pic of my RR rug ;)

th_MomRug1b.jpg

clickable

Oh 2 strands of cotton sounds nice. I may have to try that one. My WW one in the bathroom (only bathroom in the house) gets lots of wear and tear and is holding up great, but again you have to be careful because there are no slip pads on the bottom.

Crochet bathroom rug question - link to a discussion on what to put on the bottom.

backing for rugs? - link to more ideas.

Debbi

I just started a "dustcatcher" for my bathroom. I'm using Lion organic cotton for the base- it's dc mesh, like a filet. When the backing is done, I'm using strips of unbleached muslin (cut with one of the rotary tools used for quilting) to loop through each dc post like fringe. I splurged on organic cotton towel sets and want a rug with a similar organic pedigree. This would work with just about anything though because the bottom doesn't really show. Traditionally they were made with rags I think, so a good scrappy project.

I'm currently knitting a rug using 4 strands of Sugar'n Cream Cotton yarn on size 13 knitting needles. This is mt first time using this yarn for rugs. I was going to use Red Heart or Caron 4ply worsted weight yarn but was afraid this wouldn't hold up as well and maybe would turn fuzzy after being washed.

CL

Archived