Susan Bates hook w/bamboo handle?

I never received anything stating that they were backordered until I e-mailed customer service.

Oh, well. As much as I would have loved to have them now that I've started a new project, I don't. Not much that I can do. It will be a nice surprise when they finally show up. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was at Hobby Lobby today and they had these hooks!! And they were 50% this week! So I got all they had, even though I'd already ordered the set online. Yipee. So when I get home I e-mail Herrshner's to cancel my order, thinking there's no problem since y'all said they're on back order and I haven't gotten any kind of shipping info. Then I get a reply saying my set shipped on 9/14 and I only ordered on 9/11. :think So now I guess I get to take my good deals back to HL and eat the shipping cost from Herrshner's. Bummer.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a couple of these at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale~Love them!!:clap :clap :clap

Just about as much as I do my Clover hooks~and at 1/2 price ....reg price either $2.99 or $2.49 you can't beat them!

mgf~:yay

I bought one to give it a try when HL had crochet hooks for 50% off. I loved the feel of the hook in my hand so much, I went and purchased all the sizes they had. I have h, i j, k,l, and M. All for about $7:cheer :clap

I picked up a couple of these at Hobby Lobby when they were on sale~Love them!!:clap :clap :clap

Just about as much as I do my Clover hooks~and at 1/2 price ....reg price either $2.99 or $2.49 you can't bet them!

mgf~:yay

oh i loveeeeeeeeeeee my clover hooks i got 2 sets of them and woluldnt trade them for anything :hook

Hi! I would be interested in everyone’s comments about using bamboo crochet hooks with aluminum heads vs. using hooks made totally of bamboo. What are your preferences?

The reason I'm excited to use these is I crochet very tight. I have broken one of my hand carved wooden hooks before (gasp!) and those crystallites - forget about it! Those things run when I come around. LOL

The idea of having the wooden handle on the aluminum hook is the perfect balance for me.

We shall see. I expect them in any day now. I purchased the full set of sizes G-N.

You people have to stop telling me about these things to spend more money on...these intrigue me, too, in that I need to have a thicker handle because of RSI. I usually end up having to buy those foam rubber grips, but it would be nice to have a set of hooks with the handle already "widened."

I was just beginning to work on a project for a friend. I didn't get very far when I saw the mail truck. I told my kids I wouldn't crochet another stitch until I know if she has my hooks. And, can you believe that she had to have one of my neighbors, who lives in the condo complex next door, SIGN for something?!?!? My son tells me that "now the guy went back into his house and the mail-lady is waiting for him". Argh! Doesn't she realize what she may have for me?!?!?

My son runs out and gets the mail when it FINALLY arrives. He brings it in and tells me there's a package for me.

THEY CAME! I frogged the work I had done and started it up again with one of the new hooks. Not bad. I like them. I do not regret purchasing them and it was worth the wait. :)

I just got my hooks today. I put one in a project I started and I must say that it feels kind of weird.

Am I doing something wrong?

I hold the hook like....well... um I guess a pencil. I hold it like a pencil but of course it is parallel to the ground as I work.

So is that why it may feel a little weird?

I also was compairing it to a lighted hook which I used a lot last week since we were on vacation. THe throat and body was so short on that and this metal piece is way long.

Any suggestions?

I bought 4 of them 2 weeks ago at Hobby lobby they had the for $2.49 and then get one half off so that was a good deal for me:) I just love them I don't think I'll use any other hook again!

I sure wish my order for the set of hooks would arrive! I'm getting impatient! I was hoping that they'd arrive today so I could begin a project with them tonight, but no luck! It seems like I ordered them months ago! Maybe I'll get them Monday.

I don't know. I use the knife hold. It did take a little getting used to. As you said, the wooden handle is a bit shorter than I expected, but after working with it for a while, I got used to it.

I'm currently making a baby blanket with 4 large arrowhead squares. I have completed 2 and am working on the third. All with the bamboo handle hook. I also whipped up a pouch for my new iPhone and used another one of the bamboo handled hooks - no problem at all.

I guess all I can say is just use it for a while to see if you can get used to it.

I just got my hooks today. I put one in a project I started and I must say that it feels kind of weird.

Am I doing something wrong?

I hold the hook like....well... um I guess a pencil. I hold it like a pencil but of course it is parallel to the ground as I work.

So is that why it may feel a little weird?

I also was compairing it to a lighted hook which I used a lot last week since we were on vacation. THe throat and body was so short on that and this metal piece is way long.

Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I LOVE these hooks. My only problem was that the G-6 is actually an F (4mm). That worked out because I needed an F as well, but it's kind of confusing. I try to just go by the metric anyway for that reason. That set of 8 would have been great, but I really just needed them for the smaller hooks anyway. I use my G hook the most, and my hand gets tingly, which can't be very good. This completely fixed that. I had to get used to the difference on the hook part though, since I usually use Boye. These are definitely worth the money though, especially since at Hobby Lobby they were only 50 cents more than a regular hook.

I ordered the set of 8 from Herrschners last week and will be so glad to have the larger ones. I'm sick of trying to work with the plastic squeaky ones:irk

Just finished a throw using double strands of worsted for the first time and it was a real chore using the plastic N hook. It seems like the hook gets warm after awhile (Am I that fast? :eek)

I have some and I love them. I usually use Boye hooks and whenever I tried Bates I had an awful time using them. But when I first used a bamboo handle Bates, I had no problems at all. I have I, J, K, and L so far. I'm waiting for the next time Hobby Lobby has a coupon, then I'm getting more. I can't wait to have the entire set of them.

Hi! I would be interested in everyone’s comments about using bamboo crochet hooks with aluminum heads vs. using hooks made totally of bamboo. What are your preferences?

I like them better than totally bamboo hooks. The aluminum head makes everything go very smoothly, and then the bamboo handle makes it feel nice and warm in your hand.

I picked up a few loose ones at Hobby Lobby, and then I am ordering a whole set from Herrschners for $12.97. They are my new favorite hooks.

And the larger ones are very nice to work with. Made 6 hats with a double strand of yarn and an L hook. No hurting hands at all from all that work.

They are great hooks.

Archived