Help if you can...

JPorter718

HI all,

There are sooo many great causes to crochet for, but I'm requesting a more personal one.

One of my best friends husband was just sent overseas and won't be returning until next July. They have a 3 year old daughter and now a 6 month old son. She's home raising her two kids, working full-time and missing and praying for her husband's safe return. It's just so sad to think that he'll miss his daughter's 4th birthday and his son's 1st birthday. I've known them for a few years now and they are some of the most self-less, caring people you'll ever meet.

What I'm doing, and I'd LOVE your help if you're willing...

is to put together packages for Jake and the rest of the soldiers in his unit. I want to make scarves for them for the coming cold nights they'll be spending in Iraq. The requirements for the scarves are to be about 5-6" wide and about 38-40" long. A single scarf doesn't take much time to complete. The scarves do however need to be neutral in color; black, browns, tans, dark greens, grays, camo, etc. Of course hats/beanies are welcomed as well, they need to keep their heads warm under those helmets. If you'd like as well, to attach your name and/or address to your crocheted items, that way the soldiers would know who made his/her gift. I'm also going to be getting my kids at the school to write letters to the soldiers, you wouldn't believe how many soldiers don't receive anything from home... and that's the drive they need to know there are people who care!!

If you feel inclined to write a letter to 'a soldier' as well, I'll be sure to get them to Jake to pass out to the other men & women in his unit.

I'd appreciate any help you'd like to give, I'd crochet 50 scarves (if I could!!!)...

You can send the packages directly to me and that way we'll get them sent out all at once.

I'd like to have received ALL packages by Oct. 31st, that way I can send them out and they'll receive the gifts right around Veteran's Day (November 11th).

Please email me JPowell27@gmail.com if you're interested in participating and then I can get my address to you. :)

THANKS CROCHETVILLE!!!

Jayme

Jayme,

to be honest I've never set down and crocheted a scarf. Do you have a pattern that works up quickly? I'm in the middle of many things but I'd try to do something. Oh and what is the date you needed them?

I'd like to receive them all by 10/31st, in order for the soldiers to receive them around Veteran's Day which is 11/11.

As for the patterns, anything would do... SC, even Double Crochet throughout. Just chain til you get to the size you want and then just sc or dc. I've been doing some really simple ones only because I'm trying to get so many done :D

Thanks if you decide to help :hug I know they'd appreciate it. :manyheart

I finished a scarf for you and am almost done with another one, would like to make some hats to go along with them but the hat pattern I am familiar with is done holding 2 strands of worsted throughout.. would that be too warm for under the helmet? If so, any one have a good easy pattern for one strand?

Thanks

i would like to help. i will see what i have for colors. i'm new and self thaught in crochet so i will need to find a very simple pattern for the scarf. i will pm you for the addy when i have finished the scarf. this will be nice to do and will be practice for me too.

I too am a newbie crocheter but would love to help out as much as possible. My son will be joining the national gaurd in just a few short months and i was planning to make him some too.Just not sure of an easy pattern.Could you post a link to a beginner pattern? I was also wondering if i could use cammo yarn.My local Michaels store has it on sale this week really cheap and i just bought a ton of it to use some of it for blankets and scarves for my own son but i know i bought way more than i need . (bad habit of that LOL) danucia-:hook

Hi! I'm a very new member of Socks for Soldiers, and I read on there, that they don't like to use acrylic because it doesn't draw away moisture like cotton or especially wool. Would acrylic be ok for this, or what? Just wondering. I want to help, but I don't want to send something that they can't use. Thanks!!

Victoria

just found an easy pattern for a ski cap/mask done in RH camo ! http://bythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/124.html

It would solve the need for a hat AND scarf...I'd hate to see a scarf tail getting stuck in piece of equipment. Also, are the soldiers wearing the forest camo (dark greens/blacks/browns) or the desert camo (tans/lt. browns)? If it's the desert camo, RH Sandy Print might be a better choice.

let me add here that acrylic melts! being that these men/women are in combat zones, i would HIGHLY recommend NOT using acrylic yarns. there are fires and bombs and explosions all the time over there. we don't need hats and scarves melting on our troops. not a good thing.

there are some great wool yarns out there. they wick away moisture and retain heat even if soaken wet.

as for helmet caps, don't make them too thick or the helmet won't fit. using 2 strands for a cap will make it too thick.

I will try to help you out but i'm very overwhelmed right now with christmas projects and halloween projects.

just found an easy pattern for a ski cap/mask done in RH camo ! http://bythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/124.html

It would solve the need for a hat AND scarf...I'd hate to see a scarf tail getting stuck in piece of equipment. Also, are the soldiers wearing the forest camo (dark greens/blacks/browns) or the desert camo (tans/lt. browns)? If it's the desert camo, RH Sandy Print might be a better choice.

Jayme--

Would this hat work for you? I have some green that I think it would work up nice in. Or would you prefer the scarf only type. I want to help with too.

I just wanted to follow-up about the ski mask above. I received an email from Jayme and she indicates that this item would be great for those who are interested in making it. I started mine and it seems like a pretty simple pattern. I am using a J hook though after reading some of the comments made about the hood/face being too big and stretchy. It seems to be fine. Is anyone else making this pattern http://bythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/124.html ? I'd love to compare notes.

Whew, I finished a hat and a scarf. But lost this thread and couldn't find the email from Jayme. I had wondered about a scarf in war, but didn't want to offend anyone by saying it out loud. My daughter and I talked it over, and she mentioned that scarves and long loose clothing are survival techniques in the desert. So I made a scarf and a cap. The ends would be tucked inside, so no machinery problems and an end could be pulled out for face coverage when needed. I also thought of a face mask, but if they ever wanted to remove it the helmet would have to come off too. Then I thought about WWII and dickies. A turtle neck dickie would be good, protects upper chest and neck, and turtle neck could be pulled up over lower face when needed. Also how about fingerless gloves or wrist warmers?

My scarf and hat is acrylic as I thought about wool too, but there are folks who are allergic to it, sounds silly, but I know 2 people who are. Cotton shrinks and really isn't very warm.

Now for the honesty part (sorry if this is too blunt for some). Aunt was a nurse and her opinion was, if the heat in your dryer isn't hot enough to melt the item, I sincerely believe any heat hotter than that (which could create enough damage to get through the kevlar helmets) is not going to be a survivable injury. And if it is survivable, any material used (at that high of a temp) will be burnt and stuck to the injuries.

There is an approved charity web site for military personel that makes and ships tons of knitted and crocheted items, (I found it while looking for watchcap patterns), and they use acrylic when making their items, they have been doing it for years with no problems. So I think what yarn you use is just a matter of your personal preference. The url is http://www.Operationtoastytoes.org. (The name comes from making booties during WWII. That is also where I got the dickie revelation.)

Well, that is my :2c, I had a lot of catching up to do :blah. Thanks to Amy who was so kind as to help me find this thread again. I guess I haven't learned as much about this forum as I thought, :lol. Reminds me of the joke, "I never get lost as someone is always telling me where to go..."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived