Interchangeable needle sets

itsgeetee

As a new knitter, I've been looking at different patterns and the needle sizes they require and I'm beginning to see the advantage to the interchangeable sets.

I've looked at several online but I thought I would ask some of the experienced knitters what you've used and what you like/don't like about interchangeables in general, and/or about specific brands. Is there an overall favorite?

I have not been able to find any in the local stores we have, so if I purchased a set, I would have to do it without being able to look at them and check them out in person.

This might be something that goes on my Christmas wish list!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've plans to buy a set too and am currently eyeing either the one from Knit Picks or Denise. I'll probably end up getting the KP set because I like my needles smooth and pointy. If you're a member of the Knitting Help forum, there's a thread discussing these 2 sets.

As a new knitter, I've been looking at different patterns and the needle sizes they require and I'm beginning to see the advantage to the interchangeable sets.

I don't know how helpful this will be but I am also a new knitter and have the Densie and the Options set. I have 2 posts on my new (still lame and under construction :lol ) blog about my experience with them. When all is said and done, I wouldn't part with either set :manyheart but I'll gladly give up the straights I have...I can't knit with them at all!:eek

I have a Denise set and I love them! It is so nice to know you have most every size you need. I think my DH got this set from Mary Maxim (they were a Christmas gift!)

I have also heard good things abouth the knit picks options set too.

I really like my Knit Picks Options Set. I don't really care for the the few Boye interchangeables I purchased.

Same here. I've not tried Denise, but I wouldn't trade my Knit Picks Options for anything!

Thanks for the info and the other thread/forum info. I like my needles smooth and pointy too...but Denise has a pink set! I love anything pink :lol and I like to support businesses that donate to cancer research.

Of course I could get the Knit Picks set and donate the $5 bucks myself...I guess the pointy part is more important than the pink part. :P

This is not going to be an easy decision! :eek

At least so far noone really seems to care for the Boye set, and I'm not a Boye crochet hooker (Bates girl here), so I guess I can rule that set out.

Nadia, I am so jealous that you have both! But that option had not occurred to me until I read your blog. Hmmm....anyway, you may have pushed over to the Knit Picks set a little more. I may have to get that one - first anyway!

I have never tried the Denise needles; although I'm suprised I didn't since we have the same name, lol. Ever since I have gotten my knit picks, I can't put them down. I have had them for a year and with much use have never stripped the screw on part. I love that I can take the needles off one project, put on a size marker and stoppers and use the needle for something else. If my house caught on fire, they would be the first thing I grab! I even took them on vacation, just in case!

Denise

Denise, if I haven't already decided on the KP set, you've just sold me on it! :D I'll probably get the Denise set too once I start travelling regularly for work within the next 2 years since it's air travel friendly.

I have this set, it is by Boyle.

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/070477.html

If I had to depend on this, I would never knit.:( The ends unscrew while you are knitting and the yarn gets caught between the end and the plastic piece. Also some of the needle sections, have pieces sticking up , that the yarn gets caught on. I had to file them down.:no

Of course, mine is very old and they hopefully have improved it.:hook

I have the Boye. Not having ever had the opportunity to try the Knit Picks or Denise sets, I can't really compare. I don't LOVE the Boye, but I don't hate them either. And I have two sets, because I often have many projects going at once (and yes, I do eventually finish them all). I don't mind knitting with straights as long as they are bamboo, and I DEARLY LOVE all of my bamboo circulars. I would really like to have the Bamboo Sisters set made by Plymouth, but I would like to see them first and they aren't available anywhere locally that I know of. I've heard both good and bad things about all of interchangeable sets.

Can I add my :2c to this? I've never tried the Knitpicks needles so I can't say how good they are, but I have owned the Denise at one time.

My mother bought me the Denise set many years ago (they had blue cables then) and every time I tried to work with them, the needles kept popping off the cables. Mom tried to use them as well, thinking I was doing something wrong and had the same problem. At that time she had a Boye set (with the big white cables) and ended up sharing that with me. I have since been given that set. I still love the Boye and looking forward to the day that I can get a brand new set.

If anyone knows if the connections on the Denise set has changed and are more stable, I would love to know. But for now, Boye has my vote.

I love, love, love my Denise set. I use it almost exclusivly. The points are nice. The joins are smooth and I've never had a problem with them comming loose. The resin feels good in my hands and is fast to knit with. Also I love that everything comes in a handy case which keeps me from hunting for needles.

I would definatly recommend them!

I have looked at both the KNit Picks set and the Denise set and I have decided that I want the Knit Picks, not saying that I won't ever try the Denise set, but the Knit Picks st just appeals to me more. I have it on my "Wanted List". I guess I will have to buy it for myself if I can talk the BF into purchasing it for my birthday.

Happy Knitting,

Sabrina

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered the KP set and am waiting eagerly for it! :cheer It's gonna take a while though since they don't do international shipping and I had to do it through an international shipping service.

I have the Denise set and absolutely love it.:manyheart Use it all the time, never use my straight needles anymore. I've heard too many bad things about the Boye set to ever buy one - too many snags and bad cable connections.

One really good thing about Knit Picks Options needles is that you can order two needles and cables separately, so you don't have to shell out money for the whole set without trying them. :clap I've heard that the KP Options have more pointy tips and are super-smooth like Addis, so things can slide quick - great if you like knitting fast. For me personally, the Denise needles are not quite so slippery and work well for me - more control. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try the KP Options, though! I'm curious to find out how they work for you, lis. :yarn

I have all three sets, the Denise, the Knitpicks Options, and the Boye Needlemaster. For me, the tips on the Denise separate from the cable too easily. The Boye tips "unscrewed" from the cables too easily. The knitpicks options "fly" through my work and rarely come undone. Like boye, they come with a tightening tool, but they stay tight longer than boye.

Andy, are you the Andy I met at the Oakland meeting in August (Peter's group?)

Hello Andy. Now that I've looked at your blog, you are indeed the same Andy I met at the Oakland crochet meeting. I only attend the Soirees, as going to Oakland every three months is easier than every month. So hopefully will see you at the Nov Soiree.

I love my knitpicks options, I have Denise and Boye, and have the same problem with both; the tips come off too easily. Due to machining limitations, none of these sizes come smaller than size 4.

• 4 months later...

I would be interested in purchasing a whole set but I can't find anything that will give me 12" that is interchangable. I have a few patterns that call for 12" circs but can't find them anywhere. If any of you know of a set I could purchase that would give me 12" and up I would apprecaite it.

isnt it tough acquiring needles???

seems like the crochet kits are everywhere--out in the stores...

but not these needles! I am at a loss, too as to which ones I need.. I basically pluck the sizes of the rack...randomly!

I wish they would have the size on the needles itself too! right?

what a pain to have to use the needle sizer thingamajig!

oh well...

Archived