What's your knitting speed?

BleenEyes

:hook Hey everyone.

I have started a new project - my first wearable. While knitting the sleeve start yesterday I sat looking at the clock and wondered how fast I can knit on average. So I timed myself and wondered what the average is for others. I got 23 stitches per minute as my average. I tested 7 rows of 95 stitches so this is moving along the needles too etc. Anyone else want to add theirs? No ego here - just after an honest look at averages.

:cheer I did about 40 stitches to the minute but, like you, I was working on a lot of stitches, circular needles and very fluffy yarn which slowed me up a lot.

Speed is not the main thing with knitting though, consistent tension is more important so your work looks even.

When I did my test, I was supposed to be increasing at the start of every row and in my haste, I forgot a couple of times.

Because it is a triangular scarf it will not matter but if it had been a garment, I would have had to unravel to fix it.

Good question though.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

hmmmm I haven't clocked myself, but if it is straight knitting and not an involved pattern I think I'm fairly fast ... I made a doll dress in the round with cables and mini cables and it only took maybe 5 hours total (at lunch and at home) over 3 days. I am currently stitching up a sleeveless jumpsuit in the round and am close to finishing one of the legs, then have just the other leg to do. It is going pretty fast, then again, it is all knit stitch and I don't have to increase or decrease at this time. I'm going to have to have my daughter take some pics for me so I can post them soon. I find I knit more than crochet these days, but with the holidays coming I'll be back to crocheting more.

Thank you all for the info so far. I have managed to get my average up to about 30 but no higher. And I honestly don't think I can sustain that but like some of you have said - speed isn't everything and on this I agree. I'm having fun doing what I do and doing it my way and in my own time. Is what it's all about isnt it? :D

Yes, the main reason you are knitting is for fun, so do what is comfortable and makes you happy! Its not supposed to be a chore or a contest.

However, if you have a goal to increase your speed you might want to check into some different ways of knitting that are faster. Knitting Continental style, for example, is much faster because you save the extra step of "throwing" your yarn over the needle. (Saves wear and tear on your wrist, too.)

Archived