Annie's Crochet Newsletter July-August 1985 (Star Twist Hot Pad)

Midds

Question

20 answers to this question

It looks like a different pattern that you are using since the one in the video has less rows and thinner. I noticed that there are several different patterns similar ranging from 7 points to 10. I don't know if I can post the pattern that I'm using on here or not. I still have the pattern, but its in a box or bag somewhere. I go by memory when making these hot pads.

The pink one I just posted is the Red Heart brand at Walmart. The yarns is very rough, especially the mix color. I don't know what happened to get it so rough. LoL It did make the hot pad slightly bigger when completed. From now on, I will only stick with the yarns at Hobby Lobby and will wait for a chance to get more rather than getting Red Heart at Walmart in a rush. I'm gonna try to toss them in the dryer thru air dry/pluff with fabric softener.

Here's a You-tube video that I made that shows you how to turn the points. Hope it helps those of you who are still struggling to figure it out:

Added note is mine was done in #3 thread for the video, but the pattern called for #10 thread.

Ok, lol - I have one about 3/4 of the way done sitting in my craft room. Let me just mail it to you to finish! lol:cheer

I made mine using a vintage pattern that I purchased online. I used #10 thread. The whole time I was making it, I was wondering if I was doing it right. Then, voila!

post-43648-135897710312_thumb.jpg

post-43648-135897710318_thumb.jpg

I have been doing this for years off and on. The first time was sometime during my high school years ('00-'03) and made many different colors since then. I still have the original pattern (laminated) with credit of the creator in Oklahoma. When I make them now, I don't need the pattern, since I have it easily in memory. Here is some examples.

2011-11-02214755.jpg

2011-11-03191235.jpg

Sorry, these pix was taken slightly from an angle to prevent shadow interfering with the pix.

I sell them as Star Twist Hot Pads in my store for $5 each. Three bundles of yarns make six of them. I do not recommend using them as potholders as that is potentially dangerous since there are still opening holes. So, I sell them as hot pads without the need for hanging nooks as most people just generally put them away in drawers. It looks better in a decorative way without the hanging nooks.

It takes me on average about 3 hours to complete each one depending on how often I stop.

Midds I really like how yours turned out. I'm glad I could help out. I learned something too doing it. This was actually my first pot holder. lol. Here is how mine turned out.

startwisthotpad.jpg

Oooooo! Very Nice! I like that! The colors are great and you really got it to lay so nicely!

Well after spending pretty much the day working on this and the wonderful help of sewnsew it is done! Today with this pattern was a real DUH moment for me!!!

DSC01455.jpg

For those of you that intend to do this pattern ~ when you get to round 9 turn the "petal" all the way around so that the wrong side is facing you on the bottom part and the right side is facing you on the top part. This is what creates the twist.

sewnsew ~ Thank you so very much! You just dropped everything you were doing to help me out! You are awesome! Thank you!!!

Thank you so much for offering to help. I am on round 9 and turned the pot holder so the wrong side was facing me and then I hooked the points together and crocheted where it indicated to so now I have the 10 points closer together but I don't get the repeats on this round with the way it is worded. It looks like the stitches are not lining up the way they are supposed to and I did a couple more rounds but that didn't help any either. Any suggestions?

Archived