Lacewt merino Christening gown - am I insane?

frogrockr

Dear Crocheters around the world,

I feel I need serious help.:blush

I have just chained on, and started the first round of dc for the LOVELY LOVELY Leisure Arts Christening Gown.

Doesnt sound so bad does it? :rofl

I've made this set before in Patons Dreamtime baby wool, and its lovely finished. Plus the pattern is so easy but looks complex so its one of those things I adore making....

christeninggown-1.jpg

So to make a super special set, I thought I would challenge myself by using some high quality yarn that I ordered from a store 4000km away. (working on the theory that the quality of your work will improve to match the quality of the yarn)

I'd make one from this beautifully fine whole milk coloured laceweight merino..... :nworthy

Its lovely. Its soft. It has lustre.

Its speaking to me - far above the cries of all my other UFOs currently lying in the Wool Shrine.

And so I picked up the hook......:scared

And - lets go back to the bit about how I've just made a chain... and am on the first row of dcs....

The chain - is 200 (+3) long....

I'm working with a 1mm hook....

I'm making a newborn to 3months pattern.

Its taken me half an hour to do the first row....

So - am I totally insane? :yes

Do I give up??:ohdear

Do I press on?:tired

Do I regret going out last night and drinking WAY too much wine?:morcoffee

Help me please....

Manda

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manda,

That is lovely, I am sure you can do it......keep going, it will start to come together, I don't recognize your yarn,but I am sure it luxurious......

As to the drinking to much, NEVER, you will be fine soon!!! LOL

Make sure and keep us updated on your progress!!

Thank you all for giving me a poke along! :ty

I have perservered... I'm nine rows through (including the row I did waiting for my turn at the petrol bowser last night) and its very delicate olde-worlde looking (even if it feels like its going to take forever). The pattern has two rows where ribbon is threaded and I've placed a row of puff stitches above and below to give it a little more texture.

Will snap a photo tonight as I have brought it down to the mine site with me to work on in the evenings.

The news however...

is ....

I have had another idea...

and I want to do a little filet detail across the bodice front - such as a rose or hearts or something.... and then mirror it on the two back sections. Just to give it a little more pizzazz.

I have 20 rows to play with, and roughly 20 blocks (it increases as we go down).

I have been looking at patterncentral but does anyone know of some simple hearts/flowers/diamonds? :2spin

Just because I need something to make this even more fiddly.....

Manda

Ya know you might just be crazy but then again most of us here are :lol The set in the picture is absolutely beautiful!!! I just wish I knew someone with a little girl to make a set for but everyone I know is having boys (and would not appreciate a gown). I can't wait to see the second set!

Hey guys,

Thank you all so much for the encouragement!:c9

I tried to take a photo of the bodice (which is now at row 14 - progress has been hampered somewhat by... well... um... I'll keep you posted on that one as well...:blush:D )but the batteries have died so hopefully they'll be recharged by the time I get off site tonight!

I also was organised enough to start a blog:

www.safetybootsandcrochet.wordpress.com

Manda

I finally got all the parts together (camera, batteries and work - no audience) and here is what 14 rows of laceweight - in sc/hdc/puffs and dcs looks like. :blink

bodice.jpg

Yep - 14rows, 3.7 cm.:eek

Keep up the good work! I know you can do it! Its beautiful!

By the way, what's a petrol bowser....is it a gas station?

Hey there - a petrol bowser is the gas pump section - the actual bit you pull up at to get fuel for the car.

Petrol(Gas for the Americans) is $1.40 a litre here in the Territory. There is one station that is usually 5 -6 cents cheaper, and then you can add discount vouchers (another 8c off). When you need 160litres for a Toyota Landcruiser, it adds up but everybody in the Greater Darwin was there on Sunday night. So I sat and I crocheted and I rolled forward. And crocheted and rolled forward....

Manda

Hi - I have posted more photos in my blog but I have made a bit more progress with the gown!

lacewtcorner.jpg

I'm actually getting the buzz from it now, I think since its gotten beyond that horrible twisty stage and is beginning to play the game and grow.

If only at a rate of 4mm per row...:eek

I have plans to do a couple of roses (Irish crochet touch) to decorate it... I think that'll be the easiest part.

Manda

That pattern is beautiful. I love it :manyheart

It will probrably be easier to keep going now that you can see more comming along. I know that it's always easier for me once I start to see the pattern emerging.

You can do it!:cheer

Hey guys - its coming along - if you see my blog - I finished the bodice last night and am onto the third row of the skirt.

Camera batteries died again so will put up some more photos real soon!!!

Archived