Leprosy Bandages...

Guest 000blueberry000

Guest 000blueberry000

Has anyone crocheted leprosy bandages? Where did you send them and what pattern did you use?

I have found these sites:

www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html

www.ghm.org/resources/knitted.htm

The larger hook would be better for me but I'm not sure these are the preffered bandage. I'm looking for advice from someone who has made these.

Thanks,

Lori B.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest beverlyq

Hi

I have made several leprosy bandages and I always use the #10 crochet cotton (like you make snowflakes from) and a size d hook. It is time consuming but they are the bandages prefered by LDS Humanitarian and Rising Star Outreach which are the 2 charities I donate my bandages to.

I know the people who receive them are so grateful and then thinner ones can be wrapped directly on stumps or wounds and they can be rewashed many times.

Bev

You have inspired me. I will try to make some (I am a slow crocheter) and send them to the people in need. It is so sad that leprosy could be avoided simply by taking two pills a day (antibiotics). It will be a pleasure to help where I can. My mom is going to knit some bandages.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ilovekrochet

i make alot of these bandages. i use an e hook and 18 stitches across. that makes them 3" x 4ft.. they take awile to make, so i keep mine in the car and work on them while i wait for people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm home on spring break and found a leoprosy bandage I had made last summer with a bunch of leftover thread. I think I'll take it back to England and whip some more up. Leoprosy bandages at the bottom of my yarn box aren't helping anyone, time to get them out there into the world! :wink

:frog

• 1 month later...

I send mine to ... global health ministries ,7831 hickory st. ne, minniapolis, mn. 55432 they want them to be 3" x 4 ft long and fixed with a pin also. thanks for helping !

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Check out this blog for info. She works with several groups in Viet Nam that I do not believe are religious. I just recently posted about this on my blog and plan to start making them. I think it's a great cause.

http://www.leprosybandages.blogspot.com/

Blue Ridge Mountain Girl

Wow!! I had no idea this even existed. Thank you all for sharing your information. This could be something I could work on, especially now that I am out of school for the summer and will have lots of free time on my hands. Time to really get busy and help those who are less fortunate than me. I will add this to my other charity projects.

Once again thank you all for sharing!! :hug

Hey gals, your generosity is great, but please note that the date of the original post was 2005, and it doesn't look like 000blueberry000 is a member anymore. Please contact the charities listed about donations, as they will have the most up-to-date information for you. Patty

Some of the places accepting bandages for people in India have stopped accepting them.....BUT...they are still being accepted for Vietnam. They can be sent here http://www.leprosybandages.blogspot.com/

Her mailing address is listed, guidelines for knitting and crocheting bandages and her latest blog entry was April of this year. The need is still great! I am starting my first one this week.

Some of the places accepting bandages for people in India have stopped accepting them.....BUT...they are still being accepted for Vietnam. They can be sent here http://www.leprosybandages.blogspot.com/

Her mailing address is listed, guidelines for knitting and crocheting bandages and her latest blog entry was April of this year. The need is still great! I am starting my first one this week.

I started making one, too. I'll be making both knit and crocheted bandages. I emailed the above site last week and they confirmed that they are still accepting bandages. This looks like a great cause! I'm in. :yes:)

I just went to their web site and it says that they no longer need Lep.bandages and have more than they need and A big thank you from them. but they do need other things

I just went to their web site and it says that they no longer need Lep.bandages and have more than they need and A big thank you from them. but they do need other things

Did you check the link in post 15?? That's where I went and I saw no indication that they didn't need them anymore!!!

Hi,

I was looking at thesee and thinking to myself "Self, why didn't you think of this?" I have a rare skin condition called Epidermolysis Bullosa (http://www.geocities.com/chaskitty221 my site with pictures of me and my wounds), "EBers" are what we are coined, and we use all sorts of dressing like these. We cannot apply any kind of adhesive to the skin so all bandages must be held in place with gauze or tube gauze. I am sure there are people with EB that would benifit from these as well since disposable bandages are very pricey and sometimes not covered by insurance. If there is interest, I'll ask on my EB forum if anyone would like to try these and let you all know what would be helpful. Heck if I brainstorm I may come up with other useful things EBers could use that could be crocheted.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Chastity

Chastity, you're not rambling at all! I have committed myself to doing a Hansen's bandage first, but I would love to know if anyone on your forum is in need of one and am more than willing to do another. Is the size ok or would a different size be needed?

I've had a great response on my EB forum! Here's some posts from people:

Stevie said:

"Hi Chastity they sound great one question are they big and bulky or thin and small i no this sounds strange but i like lite bandages that dont make my arm or foot look twice as big. i would love some in pink or purple they would be so cool."

So for her perhaps size 10 crochet thread in pretty girly purple and pink would be great.

bethann said:

"I think this is an awesome idea and would love to use some..it has been my quest sine casey was born to make him look less bandaged..I dye the tubifast right now to match his outfits on his arms!! Casey is only one so I don't know if you are only doing adult sizes?? I would love to try some blue ones..any shade..and leg ones to match his shorts would be cool too...My dream has always been to have a little soft crocheted stocking cap with a pop pom on the end...My mom is a crocheter but won't make a hat for casey since she is afraid it will hurt him..Zachary my other son always had one...I think every idea you have come up with here is fantastic..I would love to use some..And if they are taking donations to buy the yarn, I would be happy to donate to them as well...The only crocheted thing I have for Casey is a scarf out of super soft yarn that I use in the car seat..I put it on like a regular scarf and it protects his neck from the car seat straps..I just love it.. Please count me in on this project..I just love all the ideas you have..beth"

In addition to the bandages her son would really love anything a one year old could use made out of the most super-soft yarn possible. If you need help with cost, she's willing to buy the yarn.

Thank you all soooo much.

PS. I don't have authorization to start my own thread here or I would...