Which is better Edgerydoo or Skip Stitch?

purplepanda

Question

I have been lurking for a while, and just registered a few minutes ago. I have been learning to crochet since Christmas. Not many finished projects but one heck of a stash already. I want to make some fleece baby blankets w/ crocheted edge. I am either going to buy the Edgerydoo ro the Skip Stitch, but I can't decide which would work better? Anyone have any advice? Also, could you point me to some EASY edging patterns please? I bought several blankets at Dollar Tree and have them washed and ready.

definitely go with the edgerydoo...i have one and its wonderful...but the skip stitch might be great tooo...whatever you wanna spend...you can get different size squares also with the edgerydoo and make "granny square" afghans.

the website is

http://www.edgerydoo.com

good luck

ok never mind....i am definitely going to use one of these...in fact I will order TODAY!!! Yes the awl is hard on your hands and arms poking all those holes. THis looks great. Let me know!! I have ton of fleece I wanna use.

Lollie

I got an email from the woman w/ her address for the Skip Stitch. She wants a check or money order mailed to her. Seems really inconvenient to me in today's age. I want this thing NOW! Or as soon as possible, by the time my check gets to Georgia, she mails the product... we're looking at a long time...hmm...anyone used one of these? Are they worth the hassle of ordering?

I have several of the skip stitch blades and I love them to peices they are quick and easy to use you just put it on a 45mm rotary cutter align your ruler to the edge of your blanket about 1/2 inch in or so so it doest pull out and zoom the blade across the fabric turn do the same thing around you have a nice slit in the fabric and you can do any type border i start with a single around then do a couple rows of dc and its done no pain in the hands from punching holes i use a size H hook to do my borders and it works fine for the holes. hth

Okay, everyone thanks for all your help. I think the Skip Stitch will be a better option for me. It seems to be alot less work. So, I will need a rotary cutter, mat and ruler, or straight edge template? And, of course the new blade when I get it too.

I sent an email to skipstitch AT alltel DOT net and the message bounced back. Does anyone have a better email address?

I tried using an awl to punch the fleece but I was off in my measuring and marking so I was all set on getting the edgery doo because of the nice templates but now that you showed the skip stitch not sure or maybe I need both. I did find that I can use a craft punch on the edge of the fleece nicely to punch a hole. Not a big hole like a paper hole punch but a smaller one in the scrap book section, that was easier than using an awl. Not sure how big it is maybe 1/4" hole. I tried crochet thread, caron simply soft, fingering yarn and they all worked good. I think any yarn not too thick seems good. Mary

I Guess Why I Like The Edgerydoo So Much Is Because I Just Fold My Fleece In Half And Than Half Again So I Do Not Have That May Holes To Punch. It Is Like Four to One. It Is So Quick To Do It That Way. I Also Like The Rounded Corners. You Just Cut Them All At The Same Time And They All Match. Easy Breezy!!

With The Skip Stitch I Had A Tendency To Get A Little Off The Mark. I Know, I Know, I Need To Be More Careful And Alert But The Next Thing You Know I Did Not Have A Staight Line And My Edges Were Raggedy And I Had To Stop And Cut A New Edge. It Was Just Because I Had To Go Around The Whole Edge. I Also Found That If I Did Not Have Good Quality Fleece It Chopped That Puppy Up.

For Lady Who Said That Punching Hurt Her Hand. My Friend Cut A Red Rubber Ball For The Top Of The Awl And It Realy Helped Her. It Was Bigger And Softer. Ya, Know If There Is A Will, There Is A Way.

That Is Why God Made Chocolate and Vanilla So Everyone Can Be Happy.

All I Know Is I Am Being Creative And Loving It. My Husband Said He Has Never Seen Me Be So Passionate About Something/ Of Course, Besides HIM.

Rusty

I mailed my check for the Skip Stitch Blade yesterday and Joyce (the inventor) has already e-mailed the tutorial to me! :cheer (How cool is that! :clap ) She has included photos, rather than drawings, in the tutorial and they are very clear so that you really 'see' what you should do and what your results should be. And, you do end up with rounded corners (:yes ).

I'll post my thoughts on using the blade after I get it and play with it for a while. (I may still get the Edgery Doo "down the road apiece", but the Skip Stitch Blade may be enough for my needs....)

Ok with the skip stitch how do you cut your squares from the fleece for joining? I mean do you use an acrylic square quilters template to cut the squares or do you have to measure and mark and then use the skip stitch and an acrylic ruler around each side? Mary!

Ok with the skip stitch how do you cut your squares from the fleece for joining? I mean do you use an acrylic square quilters template to cut the squares or do you have to measure and mark and then use the skip stitch and an acrylic ruler around each side? Mary!

Mary,

1) You use whatever method you want to use in order to cut out your squares. 2) You use the Skip Stitch Blade to make the actual perforations in each square (or rectangle). 3) You crochet a foundation pattern into the perforations. 4) You add an edging pattern if you want to - it's optional.

I'll post more after I receive the Skip Stitch and get a chance to use it. (Looking forward to it -smile)

Hey Crafty, I cut my sqaures by using a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and metal ruler. Then I use my Edgerydoo square and stack them. I can usually punch holes in 6 squares at a time. It does depend on the thickness of the fleece. Easy and breezy

Just wondering if you have received or used your Skip Stitch. I am going back and forth with this and the edgery doo, leaning towards the edgery doo since you definatley get a straght line with it. I am afraid I would have wavy lines with the Skip Stitch.

I received my Skip Stitch - very quickly too! Unfortunately I have not had time to use it yet - too many other things going on. But, I hope to get a chance to play with it within the next two weeks or so. And I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.