Doily Clock?

Heather M.

I'm turning to my ever knowledgable friends here :D for help.

Has anyone ever turned a doily into a clock and if so, how did you do it??

I was thinking about turning my PK doily into a clock and gifting it to my Doctor's office as an "Office Warming" gift since they just moved. :hook

Paint a nice piece of wood, or stain it. Drill a hole in the middle to fit your clock works. I would lay my doily out upside down and iron some iron on sticky stuff on the back like stitch witchery. Then peel off the backing and put it on the clock and iron it onto the wood with NO STEAM with a press cloth over it. I think that would work.

what size doily did you have in mind for this project? and what pattern?

I think the clock idea is great and could be done nicely in a glass covered shadow box. That way the clockworks would have a sturdy surface on the backside and the doily could be adhered inside with room for the hands and the whole thing could be protected from dust

whatever you decide please do give us a pix!

Interesting idea. I like the idea of using a shadow box to keep it clean, but you might want to consider using decoupage media to attach it to the backing. No ironing with that, and you'd have some control over blocking it. I'm not sure that it would be the best way, though.

Oh, here's a thought. You know how they sew doilies to cloth to frame them? Try going with that approach. A dab of fray check would help the backing fabric from fraying when you put the clockworks through.

This is a neat idea.

I wonder if you could do a filet piece and do numbers in it where they are normally on a clock? Would take some designing (maybe), but might work. Of course you don't have to use any numbers.

Maybe a round doily with 4 focal points (12,3, 6, 9) or even 12...

Hmm..

I have a cross stitch pattern that's turned into a clock. I keep saying I'm going to do it with crochet. It's been years and I haven't done it. lol

You could use a simple wall clock and take it apart to add the doily then add the hands and maybe new numbers or flowers or something for the numbers.

I love the ideas!!! I spent the better part of this morning at Michaels, my home away from home...hehe...I bought some thin wire, and piece of wood that is already round, some really small gold nails/tacks, stain, clock kit. The kit comes with the roman numeral style numbers. The plan...lol...drill the hole for the clock, along with rouder (sp) out a spot in back for the clock box. Stain the wood, use the nails on the outside, and wire the doily using the nails. When that is done, finish tacking in the nails for a more finished look. Does any of this make sense?? lol...I'll def. post a pic when it's done!!!

I have a cross stitch pattern that's turned into a clock.

what a coincidence...my mom made me a clock from cross stitch when i got my first apartment, hmmm, 20? years ago?? YIKES! and I made one, cross stitched with glass bead accents, for my MIL to be about 10 years ago...both still working great...what a cool idea to use a doily!! anxiously awaiting to see this.

There was a lady who made these clocks and had posted pictures and instructions on how she made them. But that was 5? 6? 7? years ago. They were really pretty. I do remember she made the small doilies and made the doily with 4 points or 12 points to represent the numbers. She also put the little rose buds on the tips of the doily. She made clocks that hung on the wall and the mantle clocks. Really pretty!!

I took a cross-stitch framing course and the biggest no-no was adhesive. Too many stitchers would spend hours on their project, had it framed, and found out the hard way that they ruined it by the adhesive yellowing, puckering, etc.

There's two ways to attach it to the frame backing. Heather, I think you have the idea of one option. It is to make a basting stitch around the project, line up the basting line with the backing (preferably acid free foam core), and take rust-proof pins and pin the project to the foam core. The other is to still do the basting line, but to lace the back side to the foam core. The lacing looks similar to a corset, but much more string. My preference is to pin instead of lace.

You'll have to show pictures. I bet it will be gorgeous!

I love the ideas!!! I spent the better part of this morning at Michaels, my home away from home...hehe...I bought some thin wire, and piece of wood that is already round, some really small gold nails/tacks, stain, clock kit. The kit comes with the roman numeral style numbers. The plan...lol...drill the hole for the clock, along with rouder (sp) out a spot in back for the clock box. Stain the wood, use the nails on the outside, and wire the doily using the nails. When that is done, finish tacking in the nails for a more finished look. Does any of this make sense?? lol...I'll def. post a pic when it's done!!!

you're inventing a new craft! NAIL lacing (instead of hairpin lace!)

Archived