jelepe75

Purple square swap discussion

I am curious too how this will work. There are other swaps listed on the site now, like a chocolate swap, etc. If this works out ok, this may TRULY be a stash buster for me that will make a difference in my stash!! Hopefully, someone will email us the list and we send them out. It is decentralized, right? I guess I just assumed that...

thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

woohoo we are on the way. 34-36 sets of squares! so that is......66-70 squares if we don't make any for ourselves....which is only another 42-46 to make lol.

I am so excited I could squeek!

I plan on enclosing a letter about myself and stuff. Anyone else enclosing anything?

hehe, well I'd better get going! I've been online learning and planning for my new business... I'm going into taxidermy! I'm trying to get registered for a class in november and my mind has been all wrapped up in that for the last few weeks and I haven't been here or even looked at those squares. I sat down tonight and finished up two that were started and I'm working on another, so this is #15. They need to be shipped by dec 31st. I'm just going to buy a box of those plain brown envelopes and tuck them in, I'm not planning on wrapping them in anything. Parcel post is probably how I'll ship, seeing as how priority mail is, oh, I think $4.80 now for the first pound. These squares can't weigh too much... I'm making squares with a back loop stitch that are looking really nice (I think)...

I actually thought of backing out of it, but heck we have several months yet... I can do it!

Jess, That is too bad you had to drop out! Is everything ok with you? Are ya sure you can't stay? You have been with us since the begining. :)

OK!! Will now get down a finish a heap more in the next couple of weeks!!! I thought I might put in a piccie of our dry old farmland here, just to make everyone else feel sorry for us here in some parts of Australia!!!

I would love to see pics of you, Mittymoo, and Australia! That is a great idea. Maybe the girls in this thread can slip a pic of either them or a landmark in their area. Or maybe a town/city sign. That is the whole point is to meet people and have a little something from them! I am on hold making my squares...I LOST MY HOOK! I only have 1 H hook and that is the one I use all the time! So I am going through withdrawal till I can get to Wal-mart! UGH!

I addressed envelopes and am starting to stuff. It is getting exciting to see this swap go out!

Debbie

uwcheese

This is exciting! I am sending them out starting with the last person. Because probably everyone will mail them out starting with number 1. So that way some of the people on the bottom of the list get them sooner. I just have to get some envelopes or paper bags. What type of envelopes did you get Deb?

I am going to throw them in a hat and mail them randomly. Did we ever figure out the cheapest way?

I have a problem!! Living in Australia (and I see I am the only one on this swap who does), I am not familiar with the abbreviations for all the USA states. Would someone like to give me the full names of the states and their abbreviations??? eg, where is TN???????

Jenny

well I have got my squares started for this... I have 9 done. I sent Barbara a note asking her about when to send them out and she said to wait she was redoing the list... Can we use Manilla Envelopes to mail these in? I've never done one of these before..

Oh oh, I sent out the first ten packages today. I put them in bubble envelopes but they are smooshed and the packages are too full, I think.

Hopefully they get where they are supposed to go!

lol.....Debbie

uwcheese

Here ya go Jenny! I hope this helps!

Official USPS Abbreviations

ALABAMA

AL

ALASKA

AK

ARIZONA

AZ

ARKANSAS

AR

CALIFORNIA

CA

COLORADO

CO

CONNECTICUT

CT

DELAWARE

DE

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

DC

FLORIDA

FL

GEORGIA

GA

HAWAII

HI

IDAHO

ID

ILLINOIS

IL

INDIANA

IN

IOWA

IA

KANSAS

KS

KENTUCKY

KY

LOUISIANA

LA

MAINE

ME

MARYLAND

MD

MASSACHUSETTS

MA

MICHIGAN

MI

MINNESOTA

MN

MISSISSIPPI

MS

MISSOURI

MO

MONTANA

MT

NEBRASKA

NE

NEVADA

NV

NEW HAMPSHIRE

NH

NEW JERSEY

NJ

NEW MEXICO

NM

NEW YORK

NY

NORTH CAROLINA

NC

NORTH DAKOTA

ND

OHIO

OH

OKLAHOMA

OK

OREGON

OR

PENNSYLVANIA

PA

RHODE ISLAND

RI

SOUTH CAROLINA

SC

SOUTH DAKOTA

SD

TENNESSEE

TN

TEXAS

TX

UTAH

UT

VERMONT

VT

VIRGINIA

VA

WASHINGTON

WA

WEST VIRGINIA

WV

WISCONSIN

WI

WYOMING

WY

Debbie, How much did they cost? I know it depends on where they are going...but it will just give me a general idea. I don't think if they are smooshed it really matters...they will straighten out. I still think I may wrap mine in paper bags to send. That would be easiest...I think! Oh whomever is keeping count of the "race" I have 20 done. Does that put me in a 3 way tie for first or am I still behind?

still behind, I have 25 and someone had 28. Although I might frog four of mine near the end as I don't like them, but figured I would keep them in case of crunch time...plus it gives me more in the race lol.

OK! This means war! LOL! I must have some more done by tonight. I hope to get all my work done early then have crochet time tonight! This "race actually helps me keep going and not work on other projects, which is good!

The packages were $1.47 each. They were in small bubble envelopes. The kind you get at Walmart-10 for $3.95......That is alot. I might put the rest in a different envelope but still need to make sure it is "sturdy" because of the thickness. Not sure what would be cheaper...

Anyone else have ideas?

thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

Jenni, thank you!! That really helps me a lot because I can now look at a map of the US and figure where these squares of mine are going to end up!!!

Jenny

Jenni, thank you!! That really helps me a lot because I can now look at a map of the US and figure where these squares of mine are going to end up!!!

Jenny

Jenny,

Your very welcome! I like to know where mine are going and comimg from as well! It is part of the fun.

The packages were $1.47 each. They were in small bubble envelopes. The kind you get at Walmart-10 for $3.95......That is alot. I might put the rest in a different envelope but still need to make sure it is "sturdy" because of the thickness. Not sure what would be cheaper...

Anyone else have ideas?

thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

Debbie,

I thought about boxes from cereal or crackers or some type of thin paperboard boxes...maybe rice or mac & cheese..then wrap in plain paper bags. I don't know if that would make it too heavy or not. What do u think?

I don't have any additional information on shipping. I usually use the padded mailers and mail first class. I am planning on mailing them in waves starting in November.

I managed to get another 5 done last night which gives me 33 total. Half way there.

How is everyone else doing?

Still only 20!

24 done and counting. The colors are so pretty can't wait to see my finished afghan, this is my first time at doing this.

Jenni, thank you for the kind words! I really felt bad backing out at the last minute, but it just isn't working for me at this time, what with all my online research and totally immersing myself in the taxidermy field. I'm fine, but just a bit too busy and my one track mind is on taxidermy.

If anyone falls behind at the end, I do have 15 squares that I could donate to help someone out that really needed it. I'll hang onto them until december tho, that way it's at the end to help if it's needed.

I want to see pics of your ghans when they're complete!!! I hope to join in on another swap someday!!! Hugs to all!

Got problem!! :( Downloaded a few 8" square patterns from the net and have done two so far. There is NO WAY that these squares are 8" square in the yarn I am using. I am using 8 ply yarn with a 5.00 mm hook. The new squares would be a good 2" smaller than the ones I have completed (8" across each side, and roughly 11" on the diagonal).

I think I am going to wait until some kind soul takes pity on me and sends me a couple of squares and then compare them to the ones I have completed already. If I have to make the ones I have done smaller, then so be it, but I want them to be the same size as the ones I am receiving!!!!:manyheart

Jenny

I had to add rows to all the 8" squares I had printed off, even using a bigger hook. I recommend cutting out a 8" cardboard square. (20 cm I believe, but check the math) and measuring against that. You should be within five millimeters over or under. hope this helps!