Purple square swap discussion

I still have a grand total of zero. After vacation I will get down to squarage, and maybe on vacation.

should I double strand simply soft?

I would double strand it. I have some that I will be double stranding. I actually don't like it as much as red heart. So when all the caronis used up I am only buying RH. What does everyone else think?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have made a few with Simply Soft and I didn't double strand it. It looks fine. Do you think we really need to? It would use more yarn then, wouldnt it?

Not sure,

Debbie

uwcheese

Sorry guys. I am just not a fan. I think it is too flimsy. I won't double strand if you guys don't think I should. I do like simply softs colors but I think it is just thin. I made my daughters Scooby-Flannelghan with simply soft and it came out ok. I just like a stiffer afghan.

That makes sense Jen. I wonder if I should stop making them and wait until we know for sure. The blocks I made are not stiff but seem ok, I think.....I used it because I liked the look and the texture, but I do see your point.....

thanks,

Debbie

uwcheese

Hi to everyone!! I am in on this swap too!! So look forward to mailing squares to Australia!!! I asked Barbara about the size of the square and received this (quoted only in part) as a reply:

removed email text to comply with forum guidelines

Jenny

Ok, thats why I asked. I have used it to make afghans and it makes a summer weight afghan IMO. But I asked because it is worsted weight on the label. 29 people..58 so far. only 11 more people can join...so if you are thinking about it...come on down.

wow, 58 squares so far... well I managed to make next weekend a 4 day weekend and I always crochet like mad when I'm up at the cabin. I'm bringing this project with me and hope to get at least 8 squares completed while up there, but that's my minimum! It's great that so many people from the 'ville are in on this!

Welcome Sherry and Jenny! This is going to be so fun! I have 1 made so far! I am watching Big Brother 8 then I am back to making squares!

People laugh at me how I love purple(/lilac) so much, anything purple and I like it.

Hehe I jut had to say, this reminded me of a lady I used to see all the time while I was a kid/teenager... There was a lady in my hometown who also loved purple... EVERYTHING she wore, used, carried etc was purple. She'd wear purple shoes, tights, skirt, blouse, cardigan, jacket, hat, scarf, gloves, she'd carry a purple bag and she even rode a purple bike! I used to think she was AWESOME.

Hehe I jut had to say, this reminded me of a lady I used to see all the time while I was a kid/teenager... There was a lady in my hometown who also loved purple... EVERYTHING she wore, used, carried etc was purple. She'd wear purple shoes, tights, skirt, blouse, cardigan, jacket, hat, scarf, gloves, she'd carry a purple bag and she even rode a purple bike! I used to think she was AWESOME.

That is so funny! I had a neighbor who did the same thing!!! Everything she owned and wore was purple! She even drove a purple car! I was obsessed with her! I started wearing purple all the time too! I have a picture of me somewhere posing in my purple outfit! I'll try and find it and post it for you guys! What a cool memory!:yarn

hi all! just a little bump since we're slipping to page 3 and I don't want to lose this thread!

So, who is doing all of their squares with the same pattern? Who is doing two patterns so each trader gets one of each? Who's doing all sorts of patterns so everyone gets something different? My plan so far is to do two patterns, but I may have to expand cuz I'm already tiring of making squares and I have such a long ways to go! I did about 3 more since my count...

Hey Jess! I wanted to respond to this the other day but my keyboard keeps acting out and temporaily dies on me! Anyway, thanks for bumping us up! The last tally for people that joined was 29. Has that changed? Does anyone know? I started making popcorn squares...but it seems to take me forever! I think I prefer to make just plain grannies with different shades of purple. it goes quicker and I don't have to count! Plus, it is the easiest thing to do in the dark while I am waiting for my kids to fall asleep! LOL! I am still hunting for the pic of me in my purple get up. I really want to post that. I have TONS of pics to go through! Anyway...I hope people keep checking in and discussing this. What is everyone doing? Jess had a great question.

I printed off some patterns yesterday. My plan is to make squares until I am sick of a pattern and then go on to another. I am planning on each person getting 2 different squares. I also have found the yarn I am using and might try to make a couple of square over the weekend. I have a couple of other things going right now with quicker deadlines.

I started making grannies on vacation because it was easy. I will probably make a few more then switch to some patterns and then go back and forth. I need to make my template though because I didnt have a ruler so I just guessed and need to see if I need a sc border before I use up the yarn since they all have to be solid colors.

I think I am going to pick up a stitch guide to try different things too.

The whole square doesn't have to be the same color....does it? Because I have been using different shades of purple in my squares. I hope not b/c I have 16 done already! Is anyone leaving a long tail? I forgot to do that on mine. Will I have to redo them? I have just been weaving them in.

In the past when I have done exchanges, one of the tails is used to join and the other tail is trimmed and weaved in to the original square. So, I wouldn't think it would matter if some of the squares don't have tails, because we would only need to use one when joining two squares.

Right?

I am making two sets unless of course I run out of yarn, then will just keep going using whatever purple I have in a different block as I too am getting tired of the same block!

Debbie

uwcheese

I've got all of my projects done and now my squares are front and center... and I just can't get the ambition to work on them... I'm actually cleaning house instead cuz I don't want to make squares... what's wrong with me!

Actually, I think the prospect of 60-some squares is just intimidating right now. I need to try a different pattern so I can get excited about it again.

Archived